Sorry Sorry Sorry! Humblest apologies.....

bungeeman

For being AWOL for so long. It has been almost one whole year since my last observational piece of writing about our lives in Perth- and I can't apologise enough for that.

I appreciate that (judging by comments of the past) a few of you enjoyed reading my news & dilemmas of our adventures here since moving to WA but I assure you, I haven't forgotten you!

I have attempted to immerse myself in this country's lifestyle, and seem to be more and more comfortable with the social side of things here. I have taken to wearing a wide brim Akubra almost everywhere I go (with exception of the gym- the damn thing won't stay on whilst I'm bench pressing/ jogging/ admiring the guns in the mirror) so on such occasions my beloved hat remains in the car (I say car, I mean Ute). Now whilst this might be a more unusual fashion accessory to be permanently nestled on the top of ones head, it does also serve a very valid purpose of preventing my pasty, white and somewhat reflective skin from becoming more of a 'sausage sizzle-esque' tone. For those not in the know a sausage sizzle is a barbecue selling, wait for it -sausages - in rolls to the general public in a bid to raise money for their chosen charity/ sporting club etc. Usually based outside of a local DIY warehouse on a weekend. A good idea I feel and have enjoyed one or two myself. And at $3 a pop -not a bad price either. And it seems they are untouched by health and safety pencil necks who would otherwise do everything in their power to close it down in the UK. Plus I walk away feeling like I have made an impact in supporting a local communities' cause.

But I digress..... the hat. So the hat is a firm favourite of mine and it is worn everyday without fail. Not only does it keep the sun off the bonce, it also keeps the rain from going down my neck when I am out walking the dogs.

'So one year on and how are things?' I hear you ask...... pretty damn good actually. You may recall around this time last year, I was about to enter into a job which I thought would be job of the century. Turns out it was not and I turned it in after 3 months and moved into another role in security for a different employer. Since August I have been with 4 different employers in the security industry, and the one thing I have learnt from each of these roles is that..... the security industry is sh*t. Which if I'm honest, I knew all along. Don't get me wrong, there are some good areas to be working in and I know some people are very successful within the security world, however, having befriended a couple of directors of such companies - it turns out you are on call 24/7 should any of your staff let you down.

I am currently working as a supervisor at a University here in WA. Still in the security game, but the people who run the department... well, to coin a phrase, couldn't organise a shag in a brothel. And to be honest, my mind has been elsewhere since applying to re-join the career I left behind in the UK- a Policeman officer. My application has been in with WA Police since last year, and after many hoops being jumped through, and many months of agonising wait, I finally have a start date of 30th September.

So, whilst after leaving the UK force- no service - I thought I would try other things and see how I get on. Turns out I would rather be rolling in the gutter with drunken idiots than sitting with my thumb in the proverbial non- sun shiny place. In all honesty, I have missed it.

I am hoping after my 3 month transitional training at Joondalup academy I might be posted into the arse end of nowhere- way out in the bush (or country as it's known. There honestly is more the this singular 'bush' Australians speak of in the outback). So here's hoping for some red dirt action soon.

The wife and Son are both doing well. She's postponed her catering business thingy at the moment and is working admin for the time being, but we still hope to purchase a café in the not too distant future. We figured lets get ourselves our own house first - which we are indeed doing as we are building a new place in Yanchep which will hopefully get started before this year is out.

My son has taken to kicking a 'footy' about the house and enjoys sport very much. He is scarily good at it too. Very accurate and powerful nearly took out one of daddy's beers in the lounge (disaster afoot as that is a heinous crime in these parts - to spill a beer) - and not even two years old yet! Could daddy retire in a few years time?!

And now the mother-in-law. I'm sure those of you whom have read my previous posts would be looking forward to an update on the old witch. Well seeing as the only interaction we've had with her is via Skype, she is far beyond my reach and as such is in good health. However, one week today the in-laws will be joining us for their first visit to Australia. I'm considering moving out for a while. They're over here for a month in total, but they have friends in Brisbane, so I am desperately hoping they visit the eastern states sooner rather than later in their trip, so I don't end up going all Chuck Norris on her ass- and I don't mean growing a manly beard and bouffant hair. And the police don't allow facial hair anyhow.

So in a nutshell that's the past 12 months for us. We are settled in now and enjoying the fruits of our move- literally I eat grapefruit and fresh orange everyday! And even with some ups and downs, side to sides and a bit of whinging, crying and sleepless nights - the wife still snores - we are 100% happy with our decision and wouldn't change it. I know it doesn't always work out for a lot of people and I have read such stories on this site, but all in all we are living a great life here!

Take care y'all. See you next time

For being AWOL for so long. It has been almost one whole year since my last observational piece of writing about our lives in Perth- and I can't apologise enough for that.

I appreciate that (judging by comments of the past) a few of you enjoyed reading my news & dilemmas of our adventures here since moving to WA but I assure you, I haven't forgotten you!

I have attempted to immerse myself in this country's lifestyle, and seem to be more and more comfortable with the social side of things here. I have taken to wearing a wide brim Akubra almost everywhere I go (with exception of the gym- the damn thing won't stay on whilst I'm bench pressing/ jogging/ admiring the guns in the mirror) so on such occasions my beloved hat remains in the car (I say car, I mean Ute). Now whilst this might be a more unusual fashion accessory to be permanently nestled on the top of ones head, it does also serve a very valid purpose of preventing my pasty, white and somewhat reflective skin from becoming more of a 'sausage sizzle-esque' tone. For those not in the know a sausage sizzle is a barbecue selling, wait for it -sausages - in rolls to the general public in a bid to raise money for their chosen charity/ sporting club etc. Usually based outside of a local DIY warehouse on a weekend. A good idea I feel and have enjoyed one or two myself. And at $3 a pop -not a bad price either. And it seems they are untouched by health and safety pencil necks who would otherwise do everything in their power to close it down in the UK. Plus I walk away feeling like I have made an impact in supporting a local communities' cause.

But I digress..... the hat. So the hat is a firm favourite of mine and it is worn everyday without fail. Not only does it keep the sun off the bonce, it also keeps the rain from going down my neck when I am out walking the dogs.

'So one year on and how are things?' I hear you ask...... pretty damn good actually. You may recall around this time last year, I was about to enter into a job which I thought would be job of the century. Turns out it was not and I turned it in after 3 months and moved into another role in security for a different employer. Since August I have been with 4 different employers in the security industry, and the one thing I have learnt from each of these roles is that..... the security industry is sh*t. Which if I'm honest, I knew all along. Don't get me wrong, there are some good areas to be working in and I know some people are very successful within the security world, however, having befriended a couple of directors of such companies - it turns out you are on call 24/7 should any of your staff let you down.

I am currently working as a supervisor at a University here in WA. Still in the security game, but the people who run the department... well, to coin a phrase, couldn't organise a shag in a brothel. And to be honest, my mind has been elsewhere since applying to re-join the career I left behind in the UK- a Policeman officer. My application has been in with WA Police since last year, and after many hoops being jumped through, and many months of agonising wait, I finally have a start date of 30th September.

So, whilst after leaving the UK force- no service - I thought I would try other things and see how I get on. Turns out I would rather be rolling in the gutter with drunken idiots than sitting with my thumb in the proverbial non- sun shiny place. In all honesty, I have missed it.

I am hoping after my 3 month transitional training at Joondalup academy I might be posted into the arse end of nowhere- way out in the bush (or country as it's known. There honestly is more the this singular 'bush' Australians speak of in the outback). So here's hoping for some red dirt action soon.

The wife and Son are both doing well. She's postponed her catering business thingy at the moment and is working admin for the time being, but we still hope to purchase a café in the not too distant future. We figured lets get ourselves our own house first - which we are indeed doing as we are building a new place in Yanchep which will hopefully get started before this year is out.

My son has taken to kicking a 'footy' about the house and enjoys sport very much. He is scarily good at it too. Very accurate and powerful nearly took out one of daddy's beers in the lounge (disaster afoot as that is a heinous crime in these parts - to spill a beer) - and not even two years old yet! Could daddy retire in a few years time?!

And now the mother-in-law. I'm sure those of you whom have read my previous posts would be looking forward to an update on the old witch. Well seeing as the only interaction we've had with her is via Skype, she is far beyond my reach and as such is in good health. However, one week today the in-laws will be joining us for their first visit to Australia. I'm considering moving out for a while. They're over here for a month in total, but they have friends in Brisbane, so I am desperately hoping they visit the eastern states sooner rather than later in their trip, so I don't end up going all Chuck Norris on her ass- and I don't mean growing a manly beard and bouffant hair. And the police don't allow facial hair anyhow.

So in a nutshell that's the past 12 months for us. We are settled in now and enjoying the fruits of our move- literally I eat grapefruit and fresh orange everyday! And even with some ups and downs, side to sides and a bit of whinging, crying and sleepless nights - the wife still snores - we are 100% happy with our decision and wouldn't change it. I know it doesn't always work out for a lot of people and I have read such stories on this site, but all in all we are living a great life here!

Take care y'all. See you next time

you are a funny bloke ... pleased you have come back to us ... any chance of a photo of you in uniform ? ... I live in rural WA ! ..

Archived