uk electrician seekin advice

tony h

Hi all im totally new to this, im an electrician from scotland and wondering where the work is these days in australia. Ive heard wa is booming at the minute and crying out for electricians? If possible any advice on obtaining an electrical license would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance

Hi all im totally new to this, im an electrician from scotland and wondering where the work is these days in australia. Ive heard wa is booming at the minute and crying out for electricians? If possible any advice on obtaining an electrical license would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance

WA economy is slowing down, it is definitely not booming. I cringe when I hear people say that they heard Australia "is crying out for" some occupation or other. Australia is not crying out for anything as far as I know, there can be some opportunities, but it is best not to come over with a mindset that you are being cried out for. Migration can be very difficult for some and electricians is one of those that has lots of hoops to jump through before you can get going here.

To the original question, I guess electricians are needed wherever people are living and you can take your pick.

I see I see. Weird with the hoops u have to jump through. Went to a thing called down under live and the tradie there gave me a small insight into what u have to go through ie basically resitting a theory and a years on the job training when u get there. I thought with it being the same voltage there cant be much of a difference especially with the british standard being amongst the highest if not thee highest. The lifestyle etc appeals to me just really want more info on sparks that have left the uk, what they've been through and how it is now for them. Was only rumours I heard wa was booming but heard it a few times now from a few different people. Gotta be a better work situation than here surely although it is pixking up slightly.

Jeeso! That bad. Is anywhere in australia steady at the moment electrical wise? Whats an average salary I could look to earn providing I got a job as an electrician an can you recommend any states at the minute you think will be ok for the foreseeable future? Things arent the best here especially with the poles working for peanuts. Just cant compete with that

Do not go by the amount of jobs on seek! Most are collecting CV's and not real! I am a spark from Scotland who has finished the gap training recently and have been in WA for a year. The gap training cost me around 10K counting lost earnings due to attending college and it was not easy to get employment to fill out the logbook. Work here has slowed considerably. The company i work for has been dead for 2 months and i am now getting laid off. So far most of the jobs i have applied for on seek amount to nothing and I have a A grade license, Numerous tickets and WA experience so I think that tells the real story. I have met sparks on the courses that cant get employment to finish the logbook and gap training as well.

• 3 months later...

Colin,

your not wrong mate work has slowed down in every state, loads of people now unemployed & i do mean in the electrical game its very quiet so god knows how people shall go next year, as said the mining boom is dead & almost gone now. i here from loads of sparkies all the time saying there is NO work to be had & thats in every state. one of the problems for people is simply this they do the electrical courses then they have to do this crap log book & unfortunately people get laid of then they cant finish the required log book so they are stuffed from the word go & that part of the system is just not workable for normal people.So for anybody thinking of giving up a job in the UK i would think twice unless your willing to take on other type of employment.

Do not go by the amount of jobs on seek! Most are collecting CV's and not real! I am a spark from Scotland who has finished the gap training recently and have been in WA for a year. The gap training cost me around 10K counting lost earnings due to attending college and it was not easy to get employment to fill out the logbook. Work here has slowed considerably. The company i work for has been dead for 2 months and i am now getting laid off. So far most of the jobs i have applied for on seek amount to nothing and I have a A grade license, Numerous tickets and WA experience so I think that tells the real story. I have met sparks on the courses that cant get employment to finish the logbook and gap training as well.

Archived