References

Rose11

Hi we have got everything together to send off for vetassess but still waiting for the references off everyone!! I have told them we need it all in ASAP as that's what we are waiting on to get moving forward but still no sign. :arghh:

Has anyone else had same problem? If so how did you hurry them up? I appreciate everyone has busy lives and they are never going to realise how important this is to us but its rather frustrating. I just want to get things going.

Rose

Don't worry about hurrying them up ... work on chilling out yourself. You are right they have other things to do and just because it is top priority for you does not mean it is top priority for anyone else. You have managed this long without a visa to Australia, you can manage a bit longer. Getting stressed about every single step is not going to do you any good. Breathe...

I feel for you on this one - I had exactly the same problem and I suspect many others do too. One of my former employers took almost 3 months from me first asking her to finally sending me the reference. I'd been polite to her (as you do) and continued to do so when I was chasing her up, but these emails were frequently ignored. In the end I got completely fed up, became a bit more assertive and emailed her (still politely but) mentioning these ignored messages saying something like "It's been over 2 months now and I'm still no closer to having the reference". I received rather a defensive message back, but had the reference done within a few days. I think if I hadn't have done so I'd still be waiting now. Our agent told me that employers are legally obliged to write references for former employees so be persistent! He also said that some people offer to write the reference themselves and then have the employer sign it so as to ensure everything their assessing board needs is included. I didn't do this, but I suppose it's an option if they're really digging their heels in! It's frustrating but you'll get there in the end. Good luck x

I think a 'suggested' reference is a good idea. If they only have to fill in the gaps it would make it easier and hopefully quicker. On the other hand, they might take offence, depending on the person. I'd risk it though.

I think this is a good idea too. I sent some examples to my employers and none of the references I received had to be changed to meet criteria.

Thanks for the replies. I do need to chill and I know it's not anyone else's priority and its probably the last thing people want to be doing when they have such pressing things to deal with. I know myself how much of a pain it is to do a reference for someone so I am trying not to pester. We have been waiting about 1 month now, I think I may be rocking in a corner somewhere if im still waiting in another 2 months!!!

Great idea about writing it ourselves beebodee also a suggested reference starlight I hadn't thought about that.

We are giving them until end of August and then we may have to do the above or give them a shake.

Feel like we have talked about getting a visa for so long and now I just want to get my hands on it!!! :wink:

Thanks again everyone x

Hi. I wrote my references including all relevant topics and sent to my previous employers and all they did was copy and paste on their company letter head and sign. So no work for them so I got them back quite quickly.

Hiya, now that sounds like a very quick and easier way! Great thanks.

Archived