Well our house finally SOLD and it looks like we are off to Vic... Pooping my pants!!!

LadyCroft

We had the house on the market for soooooooo long we took it off and kind of gave up on the whole idea of emigrating. Visas expire in December so one last chance and the house only bloomin well sold...

Now I am brickin it cos we will actually, really, for real have to give this a good go. I have booked a hoiday rental for 1 month and hope to use this time to book a short term rental where we will snoop around lookng for long term plus decent primary school for our little one who is due to start when we arrive in Oz...

AAAAAAAAARGH! I feel like I am going INSANE and that I am about to make a HUGE mistake... but on the other hand I can't live the rest of my life thinking I was to blame for saying "Nope! Not going" and we will all be wondering what if for ever.

My mind is going! Seriously how do you keep your sanity?!?!?!

The rent in Mordiallloc has sky rocketed since we were living in Melbourne 7 years ago and I am worried we just won't make it. Hubby is saying why not look at it as going to Oz on a holiday rental, looking for work and a place to rent long term as soon as we arrive and if it all goes **** up then it was just a lovely, well deserved holiday and probably good bye to Melbourne....

Anyone have any words of wisdom? Hubby is a carpenter/joiner/project manager by the way...

Thanks for your help if you want to reply :wink: but I truly feel like I am going :arghh: We have 2 little kids too... :arghh::arghh::arghh: Help! Am I MAD????????????????????????????? My friends here in the UK say YES I am...

No, you're not mad, as your hubby is right, if it doesn't work out, you'll have had a great experience and so will your kids.

I can imagine the strain of having to pack up, organise things like medical records, dental records, copies of kids immunisations, paying off all your UK bills, closing bank accounts, opening bank accounts, keeping all the important documents in one place etc. etc. etc., but also, are you not a little bit excited? I think you secretly are and I do think that once you get somewhere to rent long term, you will feel a bit settled, get the little ones settled in school and perhaps look for somewhere to rent that's slightly cheaper, then you will feel like you've made a good move and look at this way, your UK friends have somewhere to stay when they visit Aus :biggrin:

Stay sane!! :hug:

Things happen for a reason I believe. Join up with the Life in Victoria forum there is a link at the foot of this one, the members are lovely and lots of meetups, coffees etc and people from the area you are looking at. Good luck

I heard a quote the other day..."You can't change the past but can control the future."

Try to think of it as an adventure, gone are the days when people spent their life savings on making an eight week boat trip to the other side of the world. It's really not such a big deal when you put it in perspective like that.

The worst case scenario is that you spend a load of money to realise the UK might be better for you. And in five years time you will be all the better for it. I imagine if you had not gone you'd both be cursing the fact your house couldn't sell from preventing you from moving to Australia for the rest of your days.

The best outcome is that you love it in Australia and are happier than you've ever been.

All the best with everything.

Aaaaaah thank you, thank you, thank you for all the positivity. I actually feel a bit better now. I had STUPIDLY posted on a totally different kind of message board website saying the same kind of thing and the people on there were like "What do you think you are doing? YES you are mad" so I got a bit dejected and started overthinking it all. It is such a rollercoaster.

YES I am excited. The thought of walking along the banks of the Yarra again after all these years wishing to be back there... Botanic Gardens, Fed Square! All the silly little things too that I have started to remember are making my stomach flip over thinking that we might actually get to see all this again.... very soon!

You are right. We might spend a load of £££s to realise it is not for us but what if we do really settle in and love it? That is too good to think about. Maybe that is why I am driving myself mad looking at all the negatives...

Thanks again for the replies. I just needed to hear someone say what you just said. :twitcy: :laugh:

Aaaaaah thank you, thank you, thank you for all the positivity. I actually feel a bit better now. I had STUPIDLY posted on a totally different kind of message board website saying the same kind of thing and the people on there were like "What do you think you are doing? YES you are mad" so I got a bit dejected and started overthinking it all. It is such a rollercoaster.

YES I am excited. The thought of walking along the banks of the Yarra again after all these years wishing to be back there... Botanic Gardens, Fed Square! All the silly little things too that I have started to remember are making my stomach flip over thinking that we might actually get to see all this again.... very soon!

You are right. We might spend a load of £££s to realise it is not for us but what if we do really settle in and love it? That is too good to think about. Maybe that is why I am driving myself mad looking at all the negatives...

Thanks again for the replies. I just needed to hear someone say what you just said. :twitcy: :laugh:

Congratulations to you and im sure you will make it what you want it to be, obviously hard work initially but thats the same with any change in it not? As for people saying your stupid mmmm are these people that dont like change, im one of these that do what i want and ignore those that are negative. There is a difference in passing on constructive criticism though! Take on all points, but you do what you want and you would not have started this journey if it was not. Nerves are natural you going to the other side of the world hehe...........take it as an adventure and enjoy the challenges eventually you will settle into life probably quicker than you expect. I wish it all you hope it to be and money cant buy you happiness.............good luck and have fun im sure and hope all works out for you tc x

The rent in Mordiallloc has sky rocketed since we were living in Melbourne 7 years ago

We've lived in Mordialloc for 6 years now and it that time we have seen it morph from an older style family area to a very gentrified dual-income-no-kids cafe latte area.

I hope its still the kind of area you want to live in! We love it ourselves - fantastic place to live with so many facets to it.

BB

Archived