Newbie! With questions!!

Bevan

Hi all, please excuse me if this isn't the right sub forum to post in.

First things first, I've been fortunate to be offered a great opportunity to progress my career in Sydney. My potential employers have offered to sponsor me on a s.457 visa and help with getting over / finding work for my girlfriend. They have also offered to pay for my flights.

My place of work would be situated in the Olympic Park and I would be on $80k pa (before tax)+ super. I'm just a bit apprehensive about the cost of living, I don't want to move to such an amazing city and not be able to do much whilst there! Would this salary be suffice bearing in mind I'm a typical 27yr old who likes to make the most of life out and about.

Ideally I would be wanting to live in Coogee / Paddington (just from looking about) however would this cause a troublesome commute via buses/trains? (Would $650 rent be too much and affect my cost of living massively?!)

Also a few people I have spoken to mentioned LAFHA , but apparently this "loophole" may have been closed now?!? So if anyone could shed any light on this it would be much appreciated.

I'm 90% there in being ready to accept the role, but still have those few niggling questions I would like clearing up.

Any help would be much appreciated!! :notworthy:

Bevan.

Hi all, please excuse me if this isn't the right sub forum to post in.

First things first, I've been fortunate to be offered a great opportunity to progress my career in Sydney. My potential employers have offered to sponsor me on a s.457 visa and help with getting over / finding work for my girlfriend. They have also offered to pay for my flights.

My place of work would be situated in the Olympic Park and I would be on $80k pa (before tax)+ super. I'm just a bit apprehensive about the cost of living, I don't want to move to such an amazing city and not be able to do much whilst there! Would this salary be suffice bearing in mind I'm a typical 27yr old who likes to make the most of life out and about.

Ideally I would be wanting to live in Coogee / Paddington (just from looking about) however would this cause a troublesome commute via buses/trains? (Would $650 rent be too much and affect my cost of living massively?!)

Also a few people I have spoken to mentioned LAFHA , but apparently this "loophole" may have been closed now?!? So if anyone could shed any light on this it would be much appreciated.

I'm 90% there in being ready to accept the role, but still have those few niggling questions I would like clearing up.

Any help would be much appreciated!! :notworthy:

Bevan.

You will be absolutely fine on that salary. http://paycalculator.com.au/ is pretty accurate for telling you how much you'll take home after tax.

Most people I know pay between rent of between $300 - $320 per week per person for (nice) shared place. For a one bed, $650 a week between two would get you a pretty nice place. Other things you'll want to factor in for monthly outgoings are (and these are rough ideas because depends on what you go for) private healthcare ($120), Internet ($60) bills ($150), phone ($50), travel - you'd need to google. Living in either of these places you've mentioned I presume you'd need to get a bus to central station and then a train, so a my multi monthly pass might be best. If you live in Surry Hills that could cut costs as it's walking distance from Central.

LAHFA is gone now!

If you are from the uk you don't need private health insurance. The reciprocal Medicare card is enough to satisfy the health requirement for the 457. You can get Internet and phone cheaper than above too.

You can, my phone is $30 but I went for average costs based on what I pay and people I know pay rather than going for the absolute cheapest price so as to give a more realistic idea - it's doubtful you're gong to find the cheapest deals for everything when you first get here.

True about private health, but a lot of people choose to have it for optical, dental and ambulance cover of course.

I live in Coogee. To get to Olympic Park will involve a bus to Central, then a train out to Olympic Park with a change at Lidcombe.

Buses to/from Central are quite frequent during rush hours - roughly every 15 minutes. Trip takes around 20 minutes.

Trains from Central to Olympic Park take around half an hour.

So all up the trip will take 1 - 1.25 hours.

Hey Bevan,

Congrats on the job and welcome to the forums.

If theres anything you need to know drop me a message.

My wife and I moved out in April on a 457, We live on Darling Harbor, Came over on very similar circumstances and initial income (My wife took a job transfer on similar wage to what you mentioned and i had to find work) and by the sounds of it from your posts you will be looking for much the same kind of life as us.

There's a few bits with prior posts that i dont agree with, medicare being a biggy, we were told we HAD to have private medical cover as a condition of the 457 visa, also medicare wont cover an ambulance and they will charge you a fortune without cover!!!

Bills costs etc etc, My wifes put a few big posts on here about this recently, keep an eye out for clairebear82's posts and all should be covered there lol, we lived on $80k for the first 3 months and got by fine, much much better now we have my income too but you can deffo live on the $80k.

Housing wise, if your budget is around $650 a week then you can pick pretty much any suburb you like. We pay that for a 1 bed on king street wharf (Doesn't get more central than that) which is just short of 100 square meters with a "study" that does nicely for a spare room, with pool gym and sauna in the building too.

As i said, don't want to bore you with details straight off but if there is anything you want to know give me a shout :-)

There's a few bits with prior posts that i dont agree with, medicare being a biggy, we were told we HAD to have private medical cover as a condition of the 457 visa, also medicare wont cover an ambulance and they will charge you a fortune without cover!!!

You do have to have private cover in order to be issued the 457 visa.

However if you come from the UK you get Medicare under the reciprocal agreement so you can cancel the private cover (if you want) once you get here.

• 3 months later...

So the flights are finally sorted and I head over on the 4th January!! I feel so unorganised!!

I've been given a nice friendly welcome from my new employers who are absolutely hammering me about the cricket already... :unsure:

Right so as I said previously I am moving to Sydney on 4th January. Fortunately my employers are putting me up in a hotel for 3 weeks whilst I get (kind of) settled.

I am 27, and my girfriend 25. I need some advice on where to live!!

My work will be based at the Sydney Olympic Park, my girlfriend will initially be coming over unemployed so I have to keep that in mind for when she does need a job so I will no doubt need to be near good transport links.

Naturally, I want to live in and around Bondi Junction, but can imagine this being a bit of a ball ache travelling to my place of work every day!! So I wondered if any of you have any recommendations which may help me?

I will be looking at top end $650 pw, (2 bed+ ideally) - gym added bonus!!

Other areas which look ok are Pyrmont, Surry hills, but i'm open to ideas as I would be guessing!!

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Bev.

Archived