Can I bring a double pram on the plane for flight to Oz?

CrozierFamily

Hello folks

I am trying to work out whether we can bring our iCandy peach onto the plane with Singapore Airlines (when I say bring it onto the plane I mean can I leave the girls in the buggy up to the point we board and then they take it from me, or would it have to be checked as luggage). I am not sure if anyone has ever done this before, any advice would be appreciated.

A picture of the buggy I mean can be found by following this link:

http://www.touristinformationcentres.net/webshop/images/webshop/177/product/large/iCandy-Peach-Blossom-261.jpg

In the picture above there are 3 versions of the pram, ours will be the one on the left hand side, with the infant car seat and toddler seat.

I have written to Singapore Airlines and asked them, but their answer was not conclusive. They have come back to say if it is fully collapsable then I can take it up to the plane, but I am not sure if my pram qualifies as although the main frame collapses, it does also split into 3 parts with the car seat and toddler seat detatching and the frame then collapsing down.

If anyone has any experience of trying to bring a pram like this on board a flight and can let me know if it is allowed, or if it will need to be checked in as baggage I would be very grateful!

If I am not allowed to bring this to the plane I am not sure what I am going to do!

Also, if I am not allowed to bring it on, does anyone know what the charge might be to have it checked in?

Thanks in advance.

Andrew

Ours was bigger than that, it was so big the toddler could ride in the luggage basket with the baby in the top seat. Got some funny looks I must admit.

We also went Singapore airlines.

We drove it to the plane door in Manchester, collapsed it and unloaded everything to walk the 20 metres down the aisle to our row of seats. It took two trips! It then evaporated.

When we got off the plane in Singapore, it was waiting at the door. Another two trips back to the seats and away we went.

This was the one.

https://www.babyshopdirect.com.au/_products//Prams+++Strollers/4+Wheel+Prams/Steelcraft+Acclaim+Reverse+Handle+Stroller+Black+Circles-134-90799-.aspx?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=Shopping&gclid=CNjB9KWq6LgCFQVZpQod60cAZg

the Singapore to Melb flight was identical.

Ours was bigger than that, it was so big the toddler could ride in the luggage basket with the baby in the top seat. Got some funny looks I must admit.

We also went Singapore airlines.

We drove it to the plane door in Manchester, collapsed it and unloaded everything to walk the 20 metres down the aisle to our row of seats. It took two trips! It then evaporated.

When we got off the plane in Singapore, it was waiting at the door. Another two trips back to the seats and away we went.

This was the one.

https://www.babyshopdirect.com.au/_products//Prams+++Strollers/4+Wheel+Prams/Steelcraft+Acclaim+Reverse+Handle+Stroller+Black+Circles-134-90799-.aspx?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=Shopping&gclid=CNjB9KWq6LgCFQVZpQod60cAZg

the Singapore to Melb flight was identical.

I really appreciate you replying to me on that. Thank you. From what I can see, if you were able to use that buggy right up to the aircraft door then we should also be fine. I take it when you collapsed your buggy down it seperated into parts, rather than all collapsing into one piece?

A weight off my shoulders to be honest, thanks again for the response.

I really appreciate you replying to me on that. Thank you. From what I can see, if you were able to use that buggy right up to the aircraft door then we should also be fine. I take it when you collapsed your buggy down it seperated into parts, rather than all collapsing into one piece?

We did that with ours, (with emirates) but they didn't give us the buggy at Perth on exit. I think I broke the world record for the longest distance walked carrying two kids and countless bags. Be as economical as you can with what you carry on. Expect the best, but prepare for all eventualities.

It really will depend on the day if it goes in the cabin or in the hold with the checked bags. Even if you keep it up to the gate it may still have to go in the hold till you land in Aus. So be prepared for that.

Most of the time the fold flat small strollers can be stored in the cabin and given back to you at your transit airport and then checked when boarding the next flight, but again, it depends on the airline, the staff that day and how full things are. Larger pushchairs (which this one is) may need to go in the hold. Not always, but it can and does happen.

ETA - I'd look to a sling or Mei Tai wrap or some such for your youngest if they are still in a infant car seat or some such or less than toddler sized. I'd use a sling for a toddler also if both parents are flying. But that is what we are used to and we carried son in a sling often. Is fab for having hands free at airports and on the plane or when trying to keep baby or toddler settled.

It really will depend on the day if it goes in the cabin or in the hold with the checked bags. Even if you keep it up to the gate it may still have to go in the hold till you land in Aus. So be prepared for that.

Most of the time the fold flat small strollers can be stored in the cabin and given back to you at your transit airport and then checked when boarding the next flight, but again, it depends on the airline, the staff that day and how full things are. Larger pushchairs (which this one is) may need to go in the hold. Not always, but it can and does happen.

ETA - I'd look to a sling or Mei Tai wrap or some such for your youngest if they are still in a infant car seat or some such or less than toddler sized. I'd use a sling for a toddler also if both parents are flying. But that is what we are used to and we carried son in a sling often. Is fab for having hands free at airports and on the plane or when trying to keep baby or toddler settled.

Hi

Thank you for your response. We do have a sling, which I think we will pack in our hand luggage just in case we do not get the pram back in between flights. I did not expect the buggy to go in the cabin if I am honest, I always thought it would be put in the hold for the flights at least.

The additional complication I have is that we are bringing our toddlers forward facing carset to put on the seat on the plane and that weighs a tonne. I just wanted to make sure we did not have to check the buggy in at check in, because I was not sure if my buggy qualified as a foldable buggy.

Really appreciate the thoughts. Regardless of whether I get the buggy back quickly I know this whole flight experience is going to be torture!

One piece folded. Don't know if it went into hold or cabin, but it was waiting near the door after each flight.

One piece folded. Don't know if it went into hold or cabin, but it was waiting near the door after each flight.

That would be in the cabin then. But it really does depend on who you meet on the day I have found. Sometimes we got to keep it in the cabin then had to check it at the transit stop and got it back with our checked luggage at the end then. Other times we were made to check it all the way through from UK to destination.

OP - fwiw they do have free strollers you can use at Changi airport. So if your one does get checked you probably won't see it till Aus and baggage reclaim. You can ask the airline staff to get you one of the free ones for transit or grab one yourself. Although I go with letting kids walk around as much as possible during transit to wear them out for the next leg.

That would be in the cabin then. But it really does depend on who you meet on the day I have found. Sometimes we got to keep it in the cabin then had to check it at the transit stop and got it back with our checked luggage at the end then. Other times we were made to check it all the way through from UK to destination.

OP - fwiw they do have free strollers you can use at Changi airport. So if your one does get checked you probably won't see it till Aus and baggage reclaim. You can ask the airline staff to get you one of the free ones for transit or grab one yourself. Although I go with letting kids walk around as much as possible during transit to wear them out for the next leg.

Thanks for that, though one of our kids is too young to walk and the other one is only really a toddler who does have a mind of her own and finds running away from us a very amusing pass time.

If they make me check it as luggage would that cost me extra do you know?

Thanks for that, though one of our kids is too young to walk and the other one is only really a toddler who does have a mind of her own and finds running away from us a very amusing pass time.

If they make me check it as luggage would that cost me extra do you know?

No, it won't cost extra.

Check Singapore airlines website for what you can take as part of your baggage without being charged.

Archived