How much rent can I afford?

Jude

Ok guys...

So if I get a job paying $55 an hour (excluding super) and work a 37.5 hour week......what comes out in tax etc? About what would I bring home? And how much rent could I afford? It's just me and my dog.....

Would $600 a week leave me hungry?

I do ultrasound scans......I have a job lined up offering $55 but hoping for a better offer!

ohhh i did wonder with the hourly rate, sounds good to me though im hoping to go as a nurse wage is much less lol.........but though i cant advise as im not there im sure that will be plenty for a man and his dog :biggrin:. i know with researching cost of renting varies load depends on area you moving to check out real estate.com to give you an idea. As for tax etc i came across this when i was looking hope it helps

https://www.moneysmart.gov.au/tools-and-resources/calculators-and-tools/income-tax-calculator..........good luck x

Ok guys...

So if I get a job paying $55 an hour (excluding super) and work a 37.5 hour week......what comes out in tax etc? About what would I bring home? And how much rent could I afford? It's just me and my dog.....

Would $600 a week leave me hungry?

So that is just over $2k a week, could you manage on say £900 a week gross in UK? It would be about the same, best person to judge if that is enough for you is you. Some people would find that great and others will find things are tight, that is all irrelevant to you. Tax levels are much the same overall, different bandings of course but no real difference in effective tax rates.

Hey,

paycalculator.com.au will tell you how much you will actually take home after tax.

In terms of rent - I was advised to spend no more than a third of your wages on rent, although I ignored that advice, spent way more and still pretty comfortable!!

But a lot really depends on your expectations and lifestyle etc - as Rupert mentioned, you would be the only person really who can judge - just do lots of research into the cost of living and that should give you a good idea of what you can afford - there are lots of threads on here that should help

I do ultrasound scans......I have a job lined up offering $55 but hoping for a better offer!

Where are you hoping to get the better offer from ? $55 ph doesn't sound too bad to me. Depends where it is though.

As for rent, I'm sure $600 will get you something suitable. Maybe not Sydney CBD, but with a dog, I doubt you want to live there anyway.

Interesting info in your timeline. Looks like the whole thing took just over a month. Super.

It works out around $78,012 net annually = $1,500 net per week.

This is assuming that you will have Private Health Cover http://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Medicare-levy/Medicare-levy-surcharge/ and therefore will not have to pay the Medicare Levy Surcharge (MLS) would be approx 1.25% additional tax on said income otherwise.

Thanks for all your replies - its made me feel a bit happier! Hadn't even thought about private health cover as yet but I probably will go for it......especially if it ends up saving me some tax. Is there anything else I've forgotton about!!?

So that is just over $2k a week, could you manage on say £900 a week gross in UK? It would be about the same, best person to judge if that is enough for you is you. Some people would find that great and others will find things are tight, that is all irrelevant to you. Tax levels are much the same overall, different bandings of course but no real difference in effective tax rates.

Whatever you do stop converting things when you arrive, it won't help! Plus the cost of living here is relative and sometimes higher depending on where you live. Once you know where your living you can work out what YOU can afford, jump onto Coles and Woolworths that will give you an idea of the cost of food in your area. Pet Insurance is a good idea to check out too..

Archived