Both UK Citizens - Want to get married in the UK

monkeyboy1979

This is like looking for a needle in a haystack but here goes.....

We are both POMS :) and looking to get married back home due to family etc and seem to be hitting a problem with doing so.

We've been told that we need to be UK residents for 8 days prior to getting married and then make declarations to get married >15 days before we do! That means we'd need to be at home for a month before hand!

Has anyone done this and know of a way i.e. some special visa or arrangement that can make this happen without us being home for 1 month before we wed!!?? WE're getting married Apr'2014.

Thank you!!

The other thing to consider is getting married in Aus, having just a couple of people to witness and not exchange rings etc and then have the celebratory actual 'wedding' in England with all your family and friends and have the service/ceremony you want and all the vows and stuff then.

Hey,

Really? Perhaps I'm looking/searching incorrectly then! I just seem to be getting the same answer.

Stressing us about a bit as thought we could just book in, pack the bag and get hitched! Notice there are special visa's but not it you're a citizen.

Do you have a link?

Hi,

Thanks for this guys, it appears that its a must and we'll have to fork out for a trip back home prior to the wedding I think. That link gave me loads of people in the same situation. Just totally stupid rules when both parties are British born, bred and only been away 2yrs!

Oh well, Christmas it is then.... now need to find the money! ouch.

Hi,

Thanks for this guys, it appears that its a must and we'll have to fork out for a trip back home prior to the wedding I think. That link gave me loads of people in the same situation. Just totally stupid rules when both parties are British born, bred and only been away 2yrs!

Oh well, Christmas it is then.... now need to find the money! ouch.

Are you sure a trip some months before is going to cut it? We got married overseas and when researching found it was entirely commonplace that in order to get married in some locations, a short period of residency was required first.

I hope so. We both still own property there, we have residential addresses and intend to be there over 7 days so should be all above board.

I understand the reasons for this but when both parties are British citizens blah blah blah then I don't really see the point to it all. Especially as this is all done locally by the relevant authority as opposed to a national body.

But, if them's the rules then we'll have to abeid.

geez I better look into this, we are flying back for a wedding in Jan 2015 but havent heard of this rule, I am planning on arriving just a few days before to maximise honeymoon time before having to be back at work..

I will start off with my usual attitude on these such things, how are they going to know? They are not going to suspect two english people with an english accent of not being resident and if you are asked for proof that you are you just show bank statements etc that you have maintained

Who told you this, we have booked the wedding an no one has said anything to us, head in sand ....

So, a min of 15 days before or max of a year before you have to register your intention to marry in person. We should be ok then we going back for a holiday next Easter which is nine months before wedding so can do it then, glad I read this, left wedding planning to girlfriend and shes not mentioned this

Yes my friends did this last year. They went back for 8 days so they could register 7 full days after being in the country. Then went back a few months later to actually get married. Another couple of friends did it in one trip but they went back for 7 weeks in total.

We have been considering it but with my OH's Dad's death we've just put it into the too hard basket. We'll get married when we return for good. Been 12 years so far a couple more won't do any harm!

Guest littlesarah
Just done a quick google and there are special types of licences in England to get around this - there are a few different kinds depending if you are getting married in Registrar's Office or Church

Do you mean this: http://www.helplinelaw.com/article/uk/209 ?

'MARRIAGE BY ARCHBISHOP OF CANTERBURY'S SPECIAL LICENCE

1. Marriage by special licence first must be approved by the Archbishop of Canterbury.

2. The licence is issued from the registrar of the Court Faculties in London.

3. If granted, a special licence allows a marriage to take place at any time within three months and in any place without any residence requirement.

4. The reasons for getting marriage by special licence are

1. when someone want to get married in a parish where neither of of the bride and bride groom live or

2. if one of them is very ill and in hospital and cannot be removed to a venue where marriages can be legally solemnised.

3. To be married by special licence, at least one of them must have been baptised.

4. A special licence may also be issued to couples living overseas, particularly if one of both of them had close links with the church in which you intend to marry.

5. The benefit of getting married by special licence is that there is no residency requirement.

6. However, the issue of a special licence is at the discretion of the Archbishop of Canterbury.

7. A special licence is also required if one wants to get married in a building not licensed for marriage.

Court Faculties may also be contacted at the following address for the Special Licenses at the following address

The Sanctuary,

London,

SW1P 3JT, United Kingdom.' There's more info on that web page.

Obviously, if you're wanting a civil ceremony, this won't help you...

Hi,

Yes this applies if you are going the CoE route but if you're simply having a civil ceremony then the rules are different...... rubbish! Well flights now booked and for those that are interested in flights home to the UK at the moment its over $2000 cheaper to fly with China Southern (book through Orbitz). 2 of us flying at Christmas for $4200. Not too bad considering the other options. Virgin are about $1000 more expensive, not worth it for me!

Hi,

Yes this applies if you are going the CoE route but if you're simply having a civil ceremony then the rules are different...... rubbish! Well flights now booked and for those that are interested in flights home to the UK at the moment its over $2000 cheaper to fly with China Southern (book through Orbitz). 2 of us flying at Christmas for $4200. Not too bad considering the other options. Virgin are about $1000 more expensive, not worth it for me!

I think you've found a plan of action that works for you so go for it. The visit back makes sense and should be simple enough. Just make sure the offices are going to be open the time you need them to be. If you are back over Christmas they may shut up shop or opening times may vary. Clarify asap with the office you want to register with just to be on the safe side.

I still dont understand this at all, can anyone point it out to me clearly :). Who is going to know how long you have been in the country, who is going to ask? We are getting married at a mansion, not a church in Jan 2015 and happend to be going back for a holiday easter 2014 so can do some registering then if required

Archived