Driving Test in Victoria

SGHJLL

My 18 year old daughter has a test booked before we move to Melbourne at end of September but wanted to find out in case she doesn't pass:

I have read that you need to have 120 hours of driving lessons to apply for your test in Victoria, is this still current and is it transferable from Uk if the driving instructor here verifies how long she has had tuition for?

Also does she need to do another theory test (she has already passed that in UK).

Also concerned about her passing a manual test instead of automatic only so that she is covered for Uk when she comes back - are there many teachers for manual in Victoria?

the big difference here to the uk, is that its pretty standard for the hours to be built just driving mum and dad, or a friends car around.

the learner does a theory test, and is then issued a book to self certify their hours behind the wheel.

as long as the book is correct and checkable you can take the practical test.

i would guess with this in mind, you could put the hours from the uk in the book with the details of the instructor, however it may be that the driving need to be done here in Victoria. I wouldn't condone being creative with your hours, however if you were to; in light of the experience you already have, i know you wouldn't be the first person out here to do it.

just make sure you are confident in controlling the car, and you have done some good drives here in Victoria, yes we drive on the left, but there are many quirky little differences, better to experience them before you take the test!

there are manual cars around, and i would guess lots of manual instructors. most people drive autos, but as you say, its best to have the choice.

good luck!

Guest The Pom Queen

Currently going through this process with my two eldest.

You can transfer some of the hours over BUT you need either a log book signed by an instructor or a stat dec take a look here http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Licences/GetYourPs/Learnerlogbook.htm

It would be best if she passes over there as its not just a case of passing the hours and test, here in Qld they then have a year on green Ps and then 2 yrs on red Ps (think I got colours right way round) so in total with the 100 hours they have up here its 4 yrs until they have an open license. Once my son had his automatic licence he decided he wanted his manuals. He didn't need to do another hundred hours it was just a case of booking his test when he felt he was ready.

In regards to driving instructors they have manual or automatics so no worries there also in Qld if you have a lesson with an instructor it gives you 3hrs in your log book for an hours lesson.

Please ignore the last poster otherwise your daughter is going to have a head on crash :), we drive on the LEFT.

She will need to do another theory test, I have checked all this as my girlfriend just failed her last chance UK test before flying out here to Melb next week. You have to do a theory test BEFORE you get your learners... not before you pass your test... if that makes sense... So you do the test up front, then you start doing your actual driving. I cant help about the hours unfortuantly as my girlfriend is over 25 so the hours experience doesn't apply to her.

Order in Victoria

1) Sit test

2) begin practice driving

3) sit hazard perception test

4) sit drivers test after you have enough hours

POM Queen, even if she passes her test in the UK she will be on her P's here in Victoria as they look at how long you have held the licence for, you have to have held it for three years to avoid the restrictions... this is really annoying as I have my eye on a SAAB Turbo convertible which she wont be able to drive :(

Guest The Pom Queen
POM Queen, even if she passes her test in the UK she will be on her P's here in Victoria as they look at how long you have held the licence for, you have to have held it for three years to avoid the restrictions... this is really annoying as I have my eye on a SAAB Turbo convertible which she wont be able to drive :(

Didn't realise it was 3yrs before they would exchange like for like so thanks for pointing that out. Re the car yes I suppose that's something that needs pointing out what size car you can drive, mind you I don't think many are restricted are they?

NO Turbos which can sometimes be a problem as modern TDIs are ruled out as well and no V8's... In Victoria I believe (tho I am not sure) an 18 year only faces passenger restrictions in the first year (my girlfriends over 25 so didn't find out). I was encouraging her to pass in the UK as I had initially thought it would get her out of having to display the P's as well but when I checked I found out that's not the case :(... I also found out something shocking...

NO Turbos which can sometimes be a problem as modern TDIs are ruled out as well and no V8's... In Victoria I believe (tho I am not sure) an 18 year only faces passenger restrictions in the first year (my girlfriends over 25 so didn't find out). I was encouraging her to pass in the UK as I had initially thought it would get her out of having to display the P's as well but when I checked I found out that's not the case :(... I also found out something shocking...

Hi. Does the no turbos rule apply to over 25s? I was not aware of that one, and it is a pain in the neck. My wife is going to have to learn to drive in Victoria so it would be good to know more info. She will only drive an Auto though, and has had some lessons in the UK but not many.

Cheers.

lol oops! thats why i keep crashing into signs that say go back! best edit that :wink:

Please ignore the last poster otherwise your daughter is going to have a head on crash :), we drive on the LEFT.

She will need to do another theory test, I have checked all this as my girlfriend just failed her last chance UK test before flying out here to Melb next week. You have to do a theory test BEFORE you get your learners... not before you pass your test... if that makes sense... So you do the test up front, then you start doing your actual driving. I cant help about the hours unfortuantly as my girlfriend is over 25 so the hours experience doesn't apply to her.

Order in Victoria

1) Sit test

2) begin practice driving

3) sit hazard perception test

4) sit drivers test after you have enough hours

Archived