Where to buy big potatoes? (For home baked jacket spuds)

Goochie

My understanding is that it is not the "Size" but more the variety which is important. I think variety is the key. From my recollections it's all about the tastiness and the crispy skin.

The OP, in this instance, is asking about size, not about the other characteristics best for baking.

Like Bobbsy, it's not a problem I've encountered personally ...I get the choice of all sizes from very small chats to very large, but I don't buy at the large retailers. They may be very specific in their contracts with growers about the size they want. I know it happens with other produce like apples so the same probably applies to spuds.

Farmers' markets or small retailers who don't want to "standardise" everything like the big boys should be able to supply large potatoes.

Guest Guest16631

........some varieties of potato are larger than others......

.........by asking for a certain variety......the OP........may get a larger potato............just a thought......tink x

........some varieties of potato are larger than others......

.........by asking for a certain variety......the OP........may get a larger potato............just a thought......tink x

For baking I use (in order of preference) King Edward, Up to Date, Kennebec or Russet Burbank (although hard to get a nice round shape in the latter)...but I'm not sure if they are available elsewhere. When I lived on the mainland, potatoes weren't sold by varietal name...but I trust that has changed now....I hope it has, anyway.

Red peppers were cheap in Brisbane last week too! Must have been Red pepper week!

Love it when all the QLD produce is in the supermarket. Shopping becomes very cheap.

$1 a lettuce

$1 a bag of onions

Banana's 2.99 kg etc