Spouse visa migration with a kidney transplant.

Franks

Pampla,

To be clear, the health waiver has nothing to do with costs for medication or care. It simply means that failing the health requirement for a visa can be ignored and the visa can be granted (should the decision go in your favour). See a previous post I made regarding the types of information you will need to provide.

I will have to pay for all clinic appointments/ nephrologist appointments, blood tests/urine tests as well as all prescribed meds that I need. In my case, some of the cost will be subsidised (for appointments AND prescriptions) but there will still be a fair amount to be paid. You can try this: http://www.pbs.gov.au/pbs/home as a place to look for your particular meds and see how much yours may be. I don't think the USA has a subsidy agreement, so you may be looking at the full price for your meds, but don't take my word for it as I am NOT an expert in this matter.

Good luck, hope it all turns out well for you and your partner.

Franks :)

Franks, thank you very much for your response. The information and advice you are providing is useful!

I understand that we are actually in a very different situation beacause of medicare subside that I will not have.

I quote something you said though: "You pay the full amount for consultant visits, blood tests etc up front and then get part of it reimbursed, or some clinics may just ask you to pay the difference (i.e. the amount that the reimbursement won't cover), it's dependent on the clinic and consultant."

I understand that the full cost you are going to pay up front (even though it is in some cases) before having the reimbursement, is the cost I shall have to pay due to not having medicare coverage...do you think this is correct? (please tell me if you think otherwise:unsure:). If positive, perhaps you could provide me that information when that time comes. It would be really useful for me to know at least in what order of magnitude these costs are (thousands, hundreds or less).

I will check the PBS site you gave me! I have read a bit about PBS though, and I'm pretty sure that USA has no arrangement with Australia.

Thank you for posting and helping us!

Pampa

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Pampa

Like I said, I'm not an expert, but I think it's correct to assume that you will be paying the full costs without expecting any of it back. The renal consultation visit was (struggling to recall as it was 2012) approximately $150 (Australian dollars). That included blood and urine check. I never needed any follow up tests as all my results were fine, of course, extra tests mean extra costs.

In terms of the PBS site - it gives you the FULL COST of items as well as the subsidised costs, so should give you an idea of what you might have to pay for your meds.

Hope this helps, good luck.

• 1 year later...

Hi Frank

I am in the process of fighting for my permanent residency through an appeal, as unfortunately I was not granted a health waiver. I was just wondering when you applied for your Visa was it to live in Australia permanently or just for a short period of time.

My case has been going on for over 2yrs now and getting very stressed.

I have had my kidney transplant 20 yrs and have had no issues with rejection however the health waiver came back,

"Granting a visa for the above applicant would prejudice the access of an Australian citizen or permanent resident.

I have checked through your list of evidence and I put all of this in, however I believe that because I am a single lady wanting to stay in Australia and I have no family connections that this may have been one if the issues.

Anyway hope you get this message need all the support u can get. Thanks

Guest The Pom Queen
Hi Frank

I am in the process of fighting for my permanent residency through an appeal, as unfortunately I was not granted a health waiver. I was just wondering when you applied for your Visa was it to live in Australia permanently or just for a short period of time.

I have had my kidney transplant 20 yrs and have had no issues with rejection however the health waiver came back,

"Granting a visa for the above applicant would prejudice the access of an Australian citizen or permanent resident.

I have checked through your list of evidence and I put all of this in, however I believe that because I am a single lady wanting to stay in Australia and I have no family connections that this may have been one if the issues.

Anyway hope you get this message need all the support u can get. Thanks

Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry to hear your news. Do you have a good agent on your side?

Hi Pampa

Like I said, I'm not an expert, but I think it's correct to assume that you will be paying the full costs without expecting any of it back. The renal consultation visit was (struggling to recall as it was 2012) approximately $150 (Australian dollars). That included blood and urine check. I never needed any follow up tests as all my results were fine, of course, extra tests mean extra costs.

In terms of the PBS site - it gives you the FULL COST of items as well as the subsidised costs, so should give you an idea of what you might have to pay for your meds.

Hope this helps, good luck.

Hi Franks

Anyway hope you get this message need all the support u can get.

Thanks

Hi Prehoney. Sorry to hear your news re the health waiver being rejected.

In answer to your question - my application was to live in Australia permanently (on a spouse visa).

The quote you included is exactly the same as the one I had on my initial visa application - "Granting a visa for the above applicant would prejudice the access ..."etc.

I think that you could be right when you mention that because you have no family connections in Australia, that it could be one of the issues that has prevented you from having the health waiver granted.

In my case I 1) Am married to an Australian Citizen ..2)Provided supporting documents from my wife's relatives that basically said that they would financially support me should my transplant fail and I needed expensive care 3) Provided evidence of my own financial situation - namely a house that I own in the UK, that I stated would be sold to cover medical expenses if it came to that.

Having been fortunate enough to not get to this stage, I'm not sure of your best course of action, but you could certainly talk to some agents and pick their brains/get a feel about if they know of a course of action for you to take. We found that most agents will give you some time for free as an initial consultation. Sometimes by email, sometimes on the phone. However if you are looking at engaging one, be sat down when they tell you their fees.

I sincerely wish you the best of luck wherever your path takes you. Just remember, sometimes you don't get what you want but you might just get what you need. Good luck!:smile: