Do you need to be a citizen/ perm resident to do a TAFE or apprenticeship

redleader

I'm afraid blossom is right, you'll be stung for International fees for one thing if you're not a Permanent Resident and for another thing 'apprenticeships'? What apprenticeships?

Now that's not strictly 100% true - there is such thing as apprenticeships but they're a rarity. In saying that, I do a lot of work for TAFE with their IT systems and have done over the past few years so I get a pretty good insight as to the kind of stuff they have on offer. I'd have a look into the SkillsTech institute in Queensland, they do a lot of stuff just for trades (automotive, electrical engineering, bricklaying, painting & decorating, etc)

• 2 weeks later...

Oz apprenticeships are generally 4 years with part time training at TAFE or registered training organisations, yet completion rates are not great (though probably improved past few years). International student trades training, which must be full time, is generally a two year program (trade certificate packaged with management), then most graduates are eligible for Job Ready test.

Depending upon the city, in addition to TAFE (& Skills Institute in QLD), Melbourne has several private colleges in addition to TAFEs offering same courses. Difference is that often their fees are not only slightly lower, put flexible fee payment systems e.g. monthly, quarterly etc.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, sorry for delay in replying. I am also in the middle of a legal battle with my ex over whether he can take my son to OZ, so my work has been cut out for me! They are wanting to go to Victoria and have advised that my son wants to do a VCAL course which will give him the opportunity to do an apprenticeship? Does anybody know if this is a reasonable prospect? or any further info you can give me would be good. They are saying they cant register him on ANY course until they are in OZ. Cheers peeps!

Archived