Advice needed about buying in Melbournes South esp Seaford

Zed

Hi there,

My husband, I and two kids are currently living in Mordialloc and we love it here. The beach lifestyle, the café culture, the community feel and all the amenities that come with it for adults and kids. We have been here for two years now on a PR visa and plan to stay for good. However we are wasting our money renting and really need to buy. We have little deposit and I am currently a SAHM so only one wage. There is no way we can afford a place here so we are looking to move elsewhere and hopefully get back to Mordy one day.

Anyway we are looking to spend around 400K and need a 3 bed place with a garden. According to Real Estate we can go to Chelsea Heights, Carrum Downs, Seaford or Frankston/South for this amount of money.

Im leaning towards Seaford as it has the beach, shops etc as Mordy does and im hoping that over then next few years it will develop in the same way Mordialloc has. Does anyone know if this the case? Are there any plans to improve/invest in Seaford?

Is Seaford a good place to start out as a first time buyer, will our money grow here? or do you think the other suburbs I mentioned above are a good place to put our money? Also any investor gurus out there who have any other recommendations, please let me know. Im doing research on the net and driving round places but its so hard to get started when you know nothing about buying and your in a different country.

Another consideration for us is good kinders, playgroups and schools etc, with two very young kids I need things to keep them busy and id like to be able to walk to the local shops etc, this isn't a must but a like to have, I found this lacked in Frankston South although it was beautiful.

Last and final questions, is it better to get on the property ladder somewhere else or better to stay in Mordi and save like mad until we can afford to buy here (prob 10 years! lol) as Ive been told buying to earn money, sell on and move up the ladder is very expensive here and isn't done like it is back in the UK???

Thanks a lot for your help.

I would look at Chelsea Heights if you like Mordialloc. However I do prefer Aspendale, Edithvale and Chelsea to Chelsea Heights, mainly because nearer the station, shops and beach and I lived in Edithvale for 11 years and we were very happy there.

Seaford has been the same as it is now for ever and I do not see it changing at all. Only more apartments I would think. South Frankston is nice and depending how far up the hill you go as to whether you could walk to the shops, schools etc. Although you could take the bus. Ballam Park is ok as well its opposite Karingal Hub and heads up the hill and a lot of the houses there have views of the Bay.

The area around the Frankston Station has a lot of older houses on large blocks of land the roads that lead between Cranbourne Road and Beach Street. They are being bought up and a lot are being renovated by buyers. This area is walking distance to the town centre, hospital, train, TAFE, Arts Centre the lot. I see growth there because of the position and transport options. Only me though so others may have a different idea.

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Zed, I agree with Petals there are nicer areas than Seaford. You say Carrum Downs is that where you mean or do you mean Carrum? Personally I would stay in Mordy and buy there when you can afford it. I also like parts of Mentone.

we are looking to move elsewhere and hopefully get back to Mordy one day.

If you are hoping to return to Mordy (and why not - it is probably the best suburb in Melbourne! :biggrin: ) I would buy somewhere smaller in Mordy and then trade up. If you leave and go south you will never return as you will never accept the massive downsizing you would have to do.

Anyway we are looking to spend around 400K and need a 3 bed place with a garden. According to Real Estate we can go to Chelsea Heights, Carrum Downs, Seaford or Frankston/South for this amount of money.

If you bought a 3 bed with garden in Seaford for this kind of money it would either be a shithole or be in a shitty area of Seaford with druggies for neighbours. Carrum downs is a much better option as is Frankston South (although I think your budget would be stretched there). I'm not familiar enough with Chelsea Heights to advise on that.

BB

I would avoid Seaford as some areas there are not the best to live with children. We recently took part in a tv property show and Frankston South was one of the recommended areas. We currently rent in Aspendale . For your budget , I would recommend Chelsea Heights and Aspendale Gardens . These are good family areas and also close to the beach.

Hi there,

My husband, I and two kids are currently living in Mordialloc and we love it here. The beach lifestyle, the café culture, the community feel and all the amenities that come with it for adults and kids. We have been here for two years now on a PR visa and plan to stay for good. However we are wasting our money renting and really need to buy. We have little deposit and I am currently a SAHM so only one wage. There is no way we can afford a place here so we are looking to move elsewhere and hopefully get back to Mordy one day.

Or Geelong...

I would avoid Seaford as some areas there are not the best to live with children. We recently took part in a tv property show and Frankston South was one of the recommended areas. We currently rent in Aspendale . For your budget , I would recommend Chelsea Heights and Aspendale Gardens . These are good family areas and also close to the beach.

Sounds interesting, whats the show, Ill look out for it, thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I had a guy doing some work at my place this week and he has lived in Seaford for over 20 years had a large block of land on the beach side, sold half of it off for $600,000 recently and lives at the rear nice little earner and he says its great living there, his wife works in the city and she does not drive so can walk to the station etc.

Parts of Seaford are a bit run down but its mainly on the Frankston Dandenong Road where it abuts the Pines Estate which is in North Frankston. The Pines used to be a housing commission estate however most of the houses would have been sold off now but a lot are obviously in the housing commission style, the double story ones are like the ones in Port Melbourne and the others are like houses around Highett and South Frankston which if you know you know they are ex housing commission by the style. The ones in Highett and Port Melbourne of course command very high prices. However the ones on the Pines have not caught up with that because North Frankston is a bit industrial and can be a bit run down although as there are such a lot of big blocks around developers are moving in and knocking the old properties down and building town houses.

All areas have dodgy bits even the supposedly flashest suburbs.

Also the size of the ex housing commission houses is usually rather small so that also deflates prices.

Archived