Difference in Price of UK and Australian Flights

queenb72

Hi All

My Australian partner is coming to live with me in the UK travelling from Melbourne. We are planning on being together in the UK for just over a year before we both move back to Oz. Now we are quite surprised at the difference in the cost of flights. It's cheaper to fly from UK to Oz rather than Oz to UK. I have tried booking ticket in UK with starting destination in Oz but the website automatically changes the currency to Australian dollars. We did think of maybe buying a ticket from UK to Oz and not using the outward ticket and my partner using the return ticket but we are concerned as obviously there will be no record of anyone entering Oz. Has anyone got ideas on how to get around this and save money? Many thanks in advance.

Hi All

My Australian partner is coming to live with me in the UK travelling from Melbourne. We are planning on being together in the UK for just over a year before we both move back to Oz. Now we are quite surprised at the difference in the cost of flights. It's cheaper to fly from UK to Oz rather than Oz to UK. I have tried booking ticket in UK with starting destination in Oz but the website automatically changes the currency to Australian dollars. We did think of maybe buying a ticket from UK to Oz and not using the outward ticket and my partner using the return ticket but we are concerned as obviously there will be no record of anyone entering Oz. Has anyone got ideas on how to get around this and save money? Many thanks in advance.

Annoying isn't it? It is quite difficult to get around.

Two things to suggest for the Oz-UK segment:

1) use airmiles if you have them

2) split the tickets. Fly from Oz to SE Asia (use Jetstar if you want really cheap!) then break the journey with a night stop and book a new ticket on from there to the UK.

Good luck.

Hi All

http://www.travelsupermarket.co.uk and also http://www.expedia.co.uk. will both let you buy Oz to UK flights at UK prices.

It is cheaper to buy a return, Oz to UK, then UK to Oz than a single, and with some fares you can change the return date, check this when you book.

If you buy UK to Oz return, and then don't catch the first flight, your return is usually cancelled.

Guest Geordee

I'm having this issue also, as we are likely going to be flying at an expensive time (typically!), so have been doing a fair bit of costing out. Something I have noticed and to be aware of is that if you do take a return but only use the one way part, some airlines will actually charge you for a no show (think it was Qantas maybe that charged $300 if you didn't show). Plus what would happen is you booked a return UK-Aus with the intention of only using the Aus-UK part? Would the ticket be cancelled if you don't show for the first leg?

I'm having this issue also, as we are likely going to be flying at an expensive time (typically!), so have been doing a fair bit of costing out. Something I have noticed and to be aware of is that if you do take a return but only use the one way part, some airlines will actually charge you for a no show (think it was Qantas maybe that charged $300 if you didn't show). L it what would happen is you booked a return UK-Aus with the intention of only using the Aus-UK part? Would the ticket be cancelled if you don't show for the first leg?

Sell it and change names , simples

I'm having this issue also, as we are likely going to be flying at an expensive time (typically!), so have been doing a fair bit of costing out. Something I have noticed and to be aware of is that if you do take a return but only use the one way part, some airlines will actually charge you for a no show (think it was Qantas maybe that charged $300 if you didn't show). Plus what would happen is you booked a return UK-Aus with the intention of only using the Aus-UK part? Would the ticket be cancelled if you don't show for the first leg?

The T&C's are pretty strict on no shows on one leg and so on. IIRC they can cancel the return leg if you don't show for the first one but you'd have to read the airline small print to make sure you know what is what.

Tickets are not transferable for international travel these days so can only be cancelled, not sold on. At least as I understand it.

Spend a few minutes reading your preferred airlines T&C's about all that to be sure.

Archived