im a 25 year old plumber moving to australia in april 2014,

alexd1987

hello to anyone who can help me, i am moving to Australia in April 2014, i am a fully qualified city and guilds levels 2 and 3 plumber. i need a point in the right direction, i am planning to fly to Sydney to seek work immediately. very easy going and loves meeting new people.

thanks, have you had your licence excepted yet! how do i arange to have it all done? is it done in england or australia?

Before you can get a licence, you need to pass a skills assessment which can be done in the UK. Then you do the gap course. Fees are here: http://www.vetassess.com.au/migrate_to_australia/ts_fees_payment.cfm

Should add, I'm not a plumber.

thanks, thats crazy money its very confusing

It's the same for electricians. On the plus side once you have your licence tradies seem to do really well here. It is illegal here for me to fit a garden tap, or doing anything more than change a plug..

thats ridiculas lol, im coming to oz on a working holiday visa, trying to find out if its worth it or not, would you recommend pursuing these qualifications?

TBH most people on WHVs end up working in bars, or fruit picking. You won't be able to work as a plumber without your papers.

NVQs mean nothing in Oz for the plumbing industry. You need to be Licenced (or Registered- the lower level of qualification) locally to get ANY work for the state that you want to work in. They all have slightly different regs. There are very heavy penalties if you're caught working for you and your employer without the correct Licence. In Vic, last year, I was told by a local plumber who emmigrated from the UK 10 years ago, that it was illegal for a 'plumbers mate' to even hand tools to a licenced plumber if that mate wasn't Registered.

http://www.pic.vic.gov.au/www/html/247-are-there-penalties-for-not-using-a-licensed-plumber.asp

You'd be better off working in bars, unless you want to got for it and do VETASSESS (portfolio, practical) then gap training. Bear in mind that places for the gap training are limited and there are not many locations. In Vic, I was on the Bellarine Penninsula- there were two colleges doing the course. It would mean a 1.5 hr drive one way after work for 18 months.

NVQs mean nothing in Oz for the plumbing industry. You need to be Licenced (or Registered- the lower level of qualification) locally to get ANY work for the state that you want to work in. They all have slightly different regs. There are very heavy penalties if you're caught working for you and your employer without the correct Licence. In Vic, last year, I was told by a local plumber who emmigrated from the UK 10 years ago, that it was illegal for a 'plumbers mate' to even hand tools to a licenced plumber if that mate wasn't Registered.

http://www.pic.vic.gov.au/www/html/247-are-there-penalties-for-not-using-a-licensed-plumber.asp

You'd be better off working in bars, unless you want to got for it and do VETASSESS (portfolio, practical) then gap training. Bear in mind that places for the gap training are limited and there are not many locations. In Vic, I was on the Bellarine Penninsula- there were two colleges doing the course. It would mean a 1.5 hr drive one way after work for 18 months.

thanks for your help i may reconsider my options

• 3 weeks later...

Not wanting to put you off, but I made friends with a Plumber from London who moved to Melbourne and could only get the odd days work here and there in the four months he was here. He was on a permanent visa as a skilled migrant but said he would need to work as an apprentice for a year in order to get his licences. So decided to go back to London where he was earning good money. I'm not a plumber so don't know the finer details, he was mid forties though and you are only 25 so will have completely different priorities and if you wanted to come over to experience Australia that's great but don't expect it to enhance your career. Working Holiday Visa's are only intended to earn a bit of cash to supplement a holiday and generally only lead to jobs in call centres, bars, cafes, fruit picking etc.

It's the same for electricians. On the plus side once you have your licence tradies seem to do really well here. It is illegal here for me to fit a garden tap, or doing anything more than change a plug..

Plenty of people still do the Home Improvement bit though, including me. I've put in our cooker, added extra powerpoints, plumbed in our dishwasher and new sink taps, changed the shower taps, re-routed the taps in the laundry and plastered the walls and done tiling, put new lights in the kitchen. Same as the UK really, if you paid a tradie to do everything you would never afford it, against the law or not.

Archived