Actual valuation examples of cars into OZ?

Savitar

Hi all,

Myself and my partner are planning on bring back two cars to OZ at the end of this year. It would seem that the biggest influence of total cost of the valuation that gets put on the car at OZ. Given that is used for everything from GST to LCT to Registration cost, a few thousand more than you were expecting can be HUGE.

So what I was looking for is some actual examples of what the valuation was of a car Vs the red book value, as that is the only real way of measuring it. I have been told its "as much as half the red book value" but on car with a red book value of $100,000 (which one of the cars is), $50,000 Vs $40,000 Vs $60,000 as the valuation could be up to $10,000 difference in total cost of all the fees. :shocked:

Any experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

There are some good threads on this - have a search around

Thanks, I have tried but can't seem to find anything recent. Many just talk about the actual costs in total, not the valuation off the car...will keep looking though...

Second hand cars are very very expensive in oz, suggest getting Japanese models if possible as Aussie cars are crap IMO.

We already have a 2011 BMW M3 and a 2004 BMW M3 so that part is sorted out (both will be well over 12 months ownership at the time of import, one 4.5 years).

Just looking for real life examples of valuation so know what I am up for....don't think it will stop me BUT want to be sure.

My M5 was worth around £21000 in the UK, was valued at AU$40500 once imported. Valuations are can vary as it will depend on the person (time of month/day, sunny/raining, which way the wind blows etc.). Iron Chef recommends a 75% figure of current market prices to be on the safe side. If it comes in lower then that's money in your pocket.

Thanks, I have tried but can't seem to find anything recent. Many just talk about the actual costs in total, not the valuation off the car...will keep looking though...

I assume you've looked at

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/transport-shipping/138727-worth-bringing-my-car-iron-ladys-trusty-new-calculator-reveals-all.html

and

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/transport-shipping/97053-transporting-your-car-oz-everything-you-need-know.html

also may be worth a look

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page4371.asp

Other than that - there are a few services which may be able to offer advice.

Thanks, I have looked into each of these but still can't find any examples of actual real world evaluations that were given to cars when they arrived, Vs the redbook value at the time......so if anyone has any examples that would be greatly appreciated....

Savitar, we can organise on-line customs valuations based on the information given and 20 or so photos of your car - it's massively handy for people like yourself trying to work out whether or not it's worth doing to know what they will be valued at before the cars even leave the UK. PM me if you'd like more details. As mentioned, we allow 20-25% below the market value here as a base guide when quoting customers but the valuations usually come in at or below that figure.

Archived