eligable for a sponcor? maybe a 489? :s

Lady1989

Hey guys please can you help me on a situation this would be much appreciated and also please correct me if I am wrong :)

I am on my first year working holiday visa and i really want to stay out here. I have completed my farm work and have got my second year evidence but do not want to use it straight away. My first visa runs out in 6 weeks then I go home. I am carrying on working on the farm until I leave. I am a qualified hairdresser by trade and have my level 3 qualifications but I have come to the conclusion that I can not get any other visa than a 457 as I don't have the full 3 years post experience as well as my qualifications.

The farm are really keen on keeping me as they are expanding and about to purchase a museum down the road full of old farm equipment and they have plans to put in a café and do a lot with it. They have already said they would be more than happy to sponcor me. I have over 5 years work experience in customer services but no qualifications so I am unsure if this sponcor would even be possible. Please can you tell me if this is possible?

Its just all in talks at the moment and I am probably just dreaming but thought I would throw it out there and see what everyone thinks....it just seems like my oz dream is never going to happen everything is always so complicated.

Thanks for your help in advance :)

A 489 visa does not require an employer sponsor, it requires a state sponsor and for the skilled migrant criteria to be met. You might be able to do this through your hairdressing, have you looked into skilled migration already? You don't mention what state you are in, I believe that WA might be sponsoring hairdressers at the moment.

I think employer sponsorship is unlikely to be honest for the following reasons. The job would need to be in an occupation on the SOL and then you would need to demonstrate skills and experience in that occupation. The other thing is that the farm would need to get approval to sponsor or do they have that already? There are certain hoops that need to be jumped through, like proving that there is a training budget for Australian employees and also there is talk of general tightening up in this area, it is also pretty expensive to get registered as a sponsor for the first time.

Thanks so much Rupert...ahh nothing ever goes smoothly. I have thought about state sponsor for hairdressing but I do not have the full 3 years post experience so I do not want to pay all that money to find I cant pass the skills assessment. I have also been advised off a migration agent that they are pretty strict on the 3 year rule, however I could be eligible for a 457, however its very unlikely a hairdressers could meet the sponsor limits, e.g. there is minimum amount of pay they have to meet and have to show they are training, so that would be hard unless a salon was a major salon. No the farm haven't sponsored anyone before I just presumed it may have been an easier route as you are limited to stay in regional Australia and not many people are willing to do that. I am in Tasmania

Thanks very much again for your advice

Forget the farm sponsoring you, it isn't a skilled job (in the eyes of immigration at least) and you don't have experience or training in it anyway.

Personally, if I were you I would go back to the uk and get your three years experience as a hairdresser and then come in that way.

A Registered Migration Agent is the best person to give you advice, not sure why you have been advised against it. It is not an agents rule regarding the 3 years post qualification work experience, this is a requirement from TRA who is the assessing body for Skills Assessments.

It place that you are working is unlikely to be able to sponsor you, first to meet the requirements of becoming a sponsor, then the job you do qualifying for 457, then as you have no qualifications in the role.

Blossoms advice is the best - go get the 3 years post qualification work experience to be able to get a positive skills assessment.

If you do decide to use your 2nd WHV now, you will be able to work for the same employer for a further 6 months.

Archived