Looking for help on School Terms ???

Guest Packard Gang

Guest Packard Gang

Hi - wondered if anyone could help please.

We will be moving out in Aug/Sept 08. Definitely QLD, South Brisbane or Sunshine Coast Not entirely sure yet. Our Son is 12 now in Year 7 and would have started Year 8 here Sept 08 - He will turn 13 in early January 09..... I know that the new school term starts in January but not sure if he will go straight into year 8 like he would have back here ??? Cant get my head round it... Can we visit a School before we decide which one to send him to ????

Also our Daughter is 4 years, would have been starting School in Reception Class in Sept O8. She will be 5 in the middle of December 08 ?? will she start School Jan 09 or Jan 10 ?? Cant get my head round this either.... Sorry to ask loads of questions... Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Debs:unsure:x

Guest Liz and Paul

Hi Debs,

If you go onto Department of Education, Training and the Arts it will tell you at what date they have to turn a certain age to get into that year. If you are coming out in Aug I think your son will continue in Year 7 until the January when he'll go into Year 8. I think yoru daughter will start Prep Jan 09 - but not 100% sure.

This website has links to all the schools websites in Queensland and is very good. My OH came out here in August and had a look around 3 primary schools here - he e-mailed the schools directly beforehand and all of them were really happy to show him around and explain the enrolment process. The schools own websites were really useful.

Hope this helps.

Liz

Guest Packard Gang

Thanks Liz, that great... I'll have a look.. So much to think about, want to try and plan so that Kallum can have a couple of weeks of settling in before he starts School.

Where are you if you dont mind me asking ??

Debs

xx

Liz is quite correct. If you arrive at the end of this year, your son will finish off 2008 in year 7 and go into year 8 in January. You will need to prepare him for the fact that year 7 is in primary school in Queensland so he will have one term of Primary before moving up to High School in January.

Your daughter will attend full time school at the beginning of 2009 but when you arrive she would be eligible for preschool which is a part time program.

Guest Liz and Paul

Hi Debs,

We are on the outskirts of Mudgeeraba near Robina in the south of the Gold Coast - really like it here, its a 10 min drive to the beach and if we drive 20 mins behind us we are in the mountains with 100ft waterfalls, we do really llike it - plenty of small shopping centres nearby. Where are you heading?

Liz

:smile:

Guest Packard Gang

Hi Liz - sounds fabulous - We coming to live there !!! We not sure yet , definately Brisbane area, no further north than Sunshine Coast. Visited Gold Coast last year, and went down as far as Bryon Bay. OH is a plasterer so we going to go where the work is. Just ordered a more detailed map of Oz, want to be like you, a small drive to the beach and near to schools and shops. Going to rent first, before we buy - what are the property prices like, are there plently of rentals around??

OMG going to ask you loads of questions now!:chatterbox:xx

Archived