Visa 309 - the truth...

Claudioaus

I have been reading a lot of posts about the timeline for the partner visa 309. I came to the conclusion that the visa can be granted much sooner than the 8-9 months waiting timeline given. I think that could be true but why are there applicants who are getting their visa granted later than people who lodged it a few months after them? That does not make sense as DIAC says clearly that the visas are processed in order of receipt.

It'd be great if you guys could share your opinion and/or examples of people who got it much sooner than expected. At the moment I'm confused and I don't know whether I should believe some of the posts i have been reading.

Do you think i could get my visa in 6 months or will it take 8-9 months as my CO said?

I lodged the partner visa in London.

I am baffled as to why you think anyone could say that they think your visa application will take 6 months not the 8 to 9 month average. If anyone did say that to you, do you think it would change anything? As above, assume it is 9, anything else a bonus. It is just a couple of months, not significant in the grand scheme of things,

Guest GeorgeD

As Rupert and Tulip have said, work with the published timescale. Yes, every now and again, there is a random person who seems to get their applicaiton approved quicker than the published tiemscale. There really is no reason for this. It's nothing to do with their applicaiton, it's nothing they've done. It's just a fluke. People say if you send all the info up front you will get processed quicker...well, to be fair, everyone does this, so it's the norm rather than the exception, and it takes the full time to do those applications which are submitted complete.

There's no strategy to it. It really is just luck. It's a bit like buying a lottery ticket...the vast majority of people win zero...and the odd person slips through the net and hits the jackpot. Once you've bought your ticket, there is nothing you can do to influence the outcome.

my theory is the people u are seeing now (like us) applied shortly after the processing time stated jumped from 6 to 9 months. all those visas would not just suddenly take an extra threr months to process. when we first looked at lodging it was stating 6 months but it shot up in the time it took to get evidence in order

Guest GeorgeD
my theory is the people u are seeing now (like us) applied shortly after the processing time stated jumped from 6 to 9 months. all those visas would not just suddenly take an extra threr months to process. when we first looked at lodging it was stating 6 months but it shot up in the time it took to get evidence in order

Actually they do. It's not that there is a huge influx of applications slowing the system down, it's due to policy changes, staffing changes, Ministerial Direction, etc, behind the scenes. It may well be that it is simply an increase in the 'Statutory Waiting Period' so they put people off applying at all. It's not that your CO will actually take 3 months longer to stare at your application, it's just that the time they are meant to take to process your application has increased. The 8-9 months isn't 'up to 8-9 months' it actually does mean that in all probablity it will take at least 8 months and less than 9 months...and of course the odd one will slip through the net, quite possibly through human error!

If your CO gave you a timescale when you applied, then you can be pretty certain that it is accurate. On the plus side, if it increased to 10-12 months, yours would still be procesed in 8-9 months, because that was the processing time when you applied.

Your CO will read your application pretty early on. If you have provided insufficent evidence initially, they will ask for more...which means they have a really close look when they first review your application. If you don't have any questions from your CO early on, then in most cases, your application goes into a file marked "Approve in 9 months time.' Time marches on, 9 months later, they dust off the file and and send you your approval email. I have no doubt that this is an oversimplification of the process, but your CO doens't spend months reviewing your case.

Actually they do. It's not that there is a huge influx of applications slowing the system down, it's due to policy changes, staffing changes, Ministerial Direction, etc, behind the scenes. It may well be that it is simply an increase in the 'Statutory Waiting Period' so they put people off applying at all. It's not that your CO will actually take 3 months longer to stare at your application, it's just that the time they are meant to take to process your application has increased. The 8-9 months isn't 'up to 8-9 months' it actually does mean that in all probablity it will take at least 8 months and less than 9 months...and of course the odd one will slip through the net, quite possibly through human error!

If your CO gave you a timescale when you applied, then you can be pretty certain that it is accurate. On the plus side, if it increased to 10-12 months, yours would still be procesed in 8-9 months, because that was the processing time when you applied.

Your CO will read your application pretty early on. If you have provided insufficent evidence initially, they will ask for more...which means they have a really close look when they first review your application. If you don't have any questions from your CO early on, then in most cases, your application goes into a file marked "Approve in 9 months time.' Time marches on, 9 months later, they dust off the file and and send you your approval email. I have no doubt that this is an oversimplification of the process, but your CO doens't spend months reviewing your case.

I know what u all mean but i have waiting :)

I know what u all mean but i have waiting :)

All been there.. :biggrin: If I had submitted my 309/100 visa application three weeks earlier (back in 2009) I would have got my visa in a month. I didn't and the goalposts moved to six months and I was made to wait it out. :SLEEP:

Archived