Police checks when you've lived abroad already.

Porkfarm

Hi All,

Can anyone shed some light on my query?

My wife and I lived in Dubai, UAE for 2.5 years back in 2005 to 2007. Since then back in the UK.

I am about to apply for a 189 visa.

Is it likely that I will be asked to provide a police check from the UAE? If so, will it be for me or both of us?

This could take a while, so I'm keen to understand the chances of being asked to provide it before I start the ball rolling.

Cheers,

Neil

Hi All,

My wife and I lived in Dubai, UAE for 2.5 years back in 2005 to 2007. Since then back in the UK.

Is it likely that I will be asked to provide a police check from the UAE? If so, will it be for me or both of us?

This could take a while, so I'm keen to understand the chances of being asked to provide it before I start the ball rolling.

Cheers,

Neil

Yes. You both have to get Police Clearance Certificate (PCC) from the UAE and any other country where you have lived for more than 12 months.

Hi All,

Cheers,

Neil

Unless Dubai has changed the procedure recently, it was quite a pain getting ours from them.

Took a few weeks and a few trips to London & Milton Keynes (although you can no longer go to MK in person for verification)

It's not cheap either for 2 people.

I believe, for some reason, it is a slightly different procedure if you have lived in Abu Dhabi.

Also note that your local police station may not be able to do the fingerprints for you.

We live near Heathrow, but had to go to Scotland Yard for them to be taken and it was 40 pounds per person in cash!!

Below is some information from the UAE Embassy in London.

Police Clearance Certificate from the UAE

Obtaining a Police Clearance Certificate / Certificate of Good Conduct from the UAE requires the applicant to have their fingerprints taken by the police in their country of residence and subsequently attested by the Foreign & Commonwealth Office in the UK or other relevant local authority (such as: the Governors’ Offices of Jersey, Guernsey & Isle of Man, the Irish Ministry for Foreign Affairs or the Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Iceland). Once the certificate is obtained, the UAE Embassy in London will attest it for a fee of £20.00, as well as provide the applicant with an application form which they have to fill in and either lodge it or post it to the Embassy with the following:

1. Two personal passport size photographs 4 x 6

2. Photocopy of the passport bearing the residence permit

3. Photocopy of the current passport if different

4. Payment of 105DHS in bank notes

5. A stamped self-addressed envelope and

6. A further fee of £20.

The Embassy will forward the above documents on behalf of the applicant to the relevant authorities in the UAE, who will conduct the appropriate investigation and issue the certificate accordingly. If successful, the certificate will be returned to the UAE Embassy for legalization, after which it will be sent to the applicant in the self-addressed envelope provided by themself.

However, applicants who used to reside in the Emirate of Dubai will have to send their application directly to the Dubai Police in the UAE.

Applicants will need to obtain their fingerprints from the police department of their country of residence, which will be legalised by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office or other relevant authority and subsequently, submitted to the UAE Embassy in London for legalisation.

After the certificate is legalised by the Embassy in London, the applicant will forward it themselves to the Dubai Police Department at the address below, together with:

Two personal passport size photographs 4 x 6

Photocopy of the passport bearing the residence permit

Photocopy of the current passport if different and

A Banker's draft for $35 made payable to Dubai Police H.Q.

Archived