advice needed!!

Guest mitch10

Guest mitch10

we are moving over to sydney with my husbands job but have 2 children who need schools. the problem i have is we are on a short term assignment about 2-3 yrs and then we will be returning to the uk.. Are there any schools that teach the english curriculum to people like us who have to go home.. i am worried my son wont be able to sit gcses when he gets home because he will be too far behind.. any advice would be great please

You are probably quite right to worry.

Nope as far as I know, no English international schools in Aus.

There will also be a huge difference in the curriculum and so if there is a year or two year study course to get to GCSEs then you can definitely not be certain that they will have covered the same ground and enable them to sit the exams in fact I would assume that they have not come even close to the controlled GCSE program.

You used to be able to do GCE O Levels and A levels by correspondence and theoretically you could look at home schooling with a correspondence course curriculum. I assume that GCSEs are now available by correspondence but not sure.

If they can get into a selective High School you may see some parity with the curriculum for GCSE but as Australia's states dont have a common curriculum (here in the ACT the schools develop their own curriculum!!!!!) you wont necessarily get any consistency at all.

You could try writing to the schools in the area and perhaps approach them with some GCSE programs to see which schools are going to be more likely to have covered the same sort of course work prior to your return.

Archived