First week in Surfers Paradise on WHV

Dan Jade

Hey guys,

i thought i would post a quicky post to let everyone know how i have got on in my first week here in australia, i am doing this because i have found posts like these very helpful to me before i came out here...so here goes

Me & my boyfriend landed in Brisbane last thursday morning 16th may at 6am - after a hellish flight of over 30 hours travelling all together safe to say we were both knackered!! we flew with emirates, who i have no complaints about other than i would have prefered a little bit more leg room but there was defo enough for any people who can sleep easily! you are literally fed every hour & the inflight entertainment was top notch so this kept me entertained for the full 24 hours flying from manchester, to dubai to brisbane! :biggrin:

since arriving on the gold coast we hired a car for the week from east coast rentals, super cheap & excellent little runner so we could find our way round the city & figure out where we wanted to look at renting...in this first week we hammered the apartment viewings, doesnt sound like much fun i know but it had to be done, we literally went into every realtor out here & looked at 2/3 apartments a day until we finally found 1 we fell in love with....right on the beach, 22nd floor up, perfect size for the 2 of us & right in the middle of everything!! so really we were actually really lucky!! :wink:

With regards to the job front, we have both been applying on seek & going round with our cv's to every restraurant & asking if people are taking on, with handing cv's out the main answer we got back is ''not at the moment its winter'' but we will keep on trying! i, however have managed 2 face to face interviews & so far completed 2 phone interviews & been offered 2 jobs on the back of the interviews all from applying on seek! so if anyone tells you there is ''no work around'' they are LYING!!! just be super persistent & try to stay positive!!

Now everything is sorted for us, apartment for 3 months & a job for me, Tom is still looking but we will survive off my wage & all this in 7 days!! so guys trust me it can be done :yes:

i hope this helps anyone =D & good luck in your search

:hug:

Well done, your in one of the best places in Australia. Great to embrace the lifestyle. You should check out the humpback whale watching that's now coming into season.Its great morning on the boat. Seaworld which just near you doing it for $99per person ($20 extra and you get admission to seaworld for the day) on one the the best boats on the coast. They send out a helicopter to locate the whales , so you know they take you straight to them. I've just booked our tickets today for this season.

Have fun.

The Crowne Plaza hotel has a revolving restaurant on the top floor and does a great morning breakfast. Sunday I think is the best day to go but they might do it on Saturday too. It's a buffet style so you get to eat as much as you want and you get great views without getting out of your seat. Nobody rushes you and I don't think you get kicked out till about 10:30am. Well worth a visit. Might have to book, it's pretty popular.

Welcome to Australia, it sure sounds like youve been busy and everything is falling into place. Now the mundane jobs are done, you can start exploring,lol and there is no shortage of things to do or places to see within an hour or 2 of where you are,,,, have fun !

Cal x

Archived