Renting Short Term - Some Questions

mw291073

Hi all,

Travelling alone - I'll be in the Gold Coast from late June staying with family, then flying down to Melbourne some time before the 8th July when I start a new job. I was planning to arrive in Melbourne around 4 or 5 days before (around the 3rd July) and stay in a backpackers for a couple of days while I look for a short term let. I was thinking about renting short term, in a fully furnished place, with bills included for up to 3 months until I settled down a little.

I will be bringing 2 suitcases with me - that's it!

I've seen some pretty good studio flats in between the $350 - $400 range. I've been looking around the St Kilda area, as that's quite close to South Melbourne - where my new job is.

Are there any 'gotchas' that I should look out for?

What should I bring out with me to secure a let? (I have my last 2 renting references)

I assume I can move in pretty quick (like a couple of days) from when I've seen the property?

Do these places have Internet access generally?

Does this sound like a good plan?!

Many thanks in advance!

(1) Are there any 'gotchas' that I should look out for?

(2) What should I bring out with me to secure a let? (I have my last 2 renting references)

(3) I assume I can move in pretty quick (like a couple of days) from when I've seen the property?

(4) Do these places have Internet access generally?

(5) Does this sound like a good plan?!

(1) Read any contract/agreement carefully and you'll greatly minimise any "gotchas". They almost always arise when people sign something they haven't read and are surprised when a clause/provision is pointed out to them later. For short-term rentals, I would recommend you especially carefully check and understand any additional costs which may apply (for example: if you have to pay extra for electricity usage, is it calculated at the normal retail rate or do they charge you a higher rate?)

(2) The more information the better. So evidence you've been a good tenant in the past is helpful. Some landlords will ask you to provide evidence of employment (so they are satisfied you can pay the rent) while others are happy if you provide an employment reference. One good way to show your commitment, if a landlord has some reservations, is to offer to pay, say, 2 months rent in advance instead of just 1. You could also offer a slightly larger security deposit. Up to you... just talk to your landlord and work something out IF this is an issue (and it probably wont be)

(3) If the property is vacant, I think the earlier you can move the better. But sometimes there will be a current tenant and the landlord is just planning in advance... so you may need to wait a week or two. Remember some travellers book accommodation months in advance.

(4) Depends. In my apartments I always offer internet because when I'm travelling it's a must have, but not everyone is the same. Be sure to ask what's included: electricity, gas, water, internet, telephone (local? national? mobiles?), parking. Some short-term rentals include all these things, while others do not. If your tenancy is less than 6 months, I really think you should try to find a place with included utilities, as it's a hassle and expensive to connect for just a short period.

(5) New places, new faces, new experiences... always a good plan!

Hi all,

Travelling alone - I'll be in the Gold Coast from late June staying with family, then flying down to Melbourne some time before the 8th July when I start a new job. I was planning to arrive in Melbourne around 4 or 5 days before (around the 3rd July) and stay in a backpackers for a couple of days while I look for a short term let. I was thinking about renting short term, in a fully furnished place, with bills included for up to 3 months until I settled down a little.

I will be bringing 2 suitcases with me - that's it!

I've seen some pretty good studio flats in between the $350 - $400 range. I've been looking around the St Kilda area, as that's quite close to South Melbourne - where my new job is.

Are there any 'gotchas' that I should look out for?

What should I bring out with me to secure a let? (I have my last 2 renting references)

I assume I can move in pretty quick (like a couple of days) from when I've seen the property?

Do these places have Internet access generally?

Does this sound like a good plan?!

Many thanks in advance!

Hi - a bona fide short term let will not require any references. It's just like booking a hotel. So you either pay in full up front or you give them a credit card to take the balance from when you check out, if they accept them. Normally everything is included in one fee. Some even include airport pickup, laundry and cleaning (as we do).

If you are paying weekly or monthly it is not a short term let, it is a proper long term tenancy and you will have to sign a tenancy agreement and pay a bond. Your tenancy will be subject to the real estate contracts and regulations. You will also normally have to pay bills on top of the rent.

Hope that helps.

BB

Archived