Teaching in Victoria

Bimbobread

My son is a science maths teacher and he told me last weekend he is disappointed that the unis are not giving as much emphasis these days and he wonders how long he will be able to teach science the way things are going. Of course he was being hypothetical and he will continue because he is born teacher. Everyone that knew him said he would be a teacher, even Monash Uni where he did a test to see what occupations suited when he was 15, said teacher. He is the sort of teacher that goes in early, comes home late, does all the camps, cooks breakfast for the kids once a week. Being a teacher is so much more than just teaching a subject.

Its not easy to get a job, my daughter gave up, she is a great teacher, one child she tutored when she was at school and uni was having great difficulty and really struggling with literacy. She met him a couple of years ago and he now owns his own business and a couple of houses. So he did not go to uni but she gave him the basics for getting a life together.

We think all the time on the academic but we need to focus on a lot of children just getting the skills for modern life as well.

I am pleased my daughter chose business, her degrees are needed there to and she gets more money and no hassle:laugh:

If an immigrant has the right to teach, the schools cannot discriminate about where their potential staff come from.

The job will go to the best qualified, or most experienced or most impressive applicant. Which is as it should be.

In the real world this doesn't happen of course. Call me cynical but I can't think of one type of employment where it does

In the real world this doesn't happen of course. Call me cynical but I can't think of one type of employment where it does

Agree with you there, a lot of employers have the art of discrimination down to a fine art. Its very easy when there are lots of applicants for a job. That said there are also those that moan discrimination at the drop of a hat.

I worked in a small office for the last 13 years of my working life and we needed to select the person who was going to fit into the team and turn up every day, we had no place for maternity leave, no place for school holidays or shorter hours, the business just did not make enough to support such benefits.

Back to schools, they have budgets too these days and they are going to try to get the best teachers they can for the cheapest option as that means more money for more teachers and other beneficial activities for the school. My daughter only taught years 11 and 12 so she was not a good option for a school for example. My son on the other hand can teach all years chemistry, maths, biology etc. plus he is male and so does not take maternity leave.

Discrimination is not allowed but on a practical basis is it discrimination when its just not feasible. Its ok with big firms and companies to be pc but small entities just cannot pick up these social nuances.

Be aware that the goalposts for overseas teachers getting fully registered teacher status were moved at the start of the year, you will probably have to go in at provisional status and then have to get the experience and evidence to upgrade to fully qualified.

From the VIT website, ( http://www.vit.vic.edu.au/professionalpractice/article.aspx?id=1 )

"From 1 January 2013, if you are applying for full registration and have evidence of previous teaching experience of at least 80 days in an Australian or New Zealand school and can provide a reference from a principal in an Australian or New Zealand school that indicates you meet the National Standards, we can grant you immediate full registration.

If you are applying for full registration and your evidence of at least 80 days previous teaching experience is from a country other than Australia or New Zealand, then on assessment of your evidence we may grant you provisional registration (experienced). After 80 days work in an Australian or New Zealand school (or equivalent workplace) you can apply for full registration using a process for experienced teachers."

Hi just to let you guys know that I am a teacher from UK and was granted full registration last week by VIT. It only took about 3 weeks to come through so if you have enough experience (my boss just had to complete a form stating that I met their teaching standards) then you will get full not provisional registration as some people have been stating.

Hi just to let you guys know that I am a teacher from UK and was granted full registration last week by VIT. It only took about 3 weeks to come through so if you have enough experience (my boss just had to complete a form stating that I met their teaching standards) then you will get full not provisional registration as some people have been stating.

Hi there md0u10fd

Congrats on getting full registration. Just a quick question- where did you get the form from for your boss to sign?? Was it sent to you, or did you find it on the website?

Thanks

Donna

my girlfriend got full registration as well shes only got three years experience. if u follow the process on the web site it points u to thr form u need to get the headmaster to fill it in. I forgot its name its got about ten questions and the principal has to demonstrate how the teacher meets the required standard

Hi there md0u10fd

Congrats on getting full registration. Just a quick question- where did you get the form from for your boss to sign?? Was it sent to you, or did you find it on the website?

Thanks

Donna

Hi Donna,

Yeah like wolvesaussie has said, you just follow the instructions online and in the section about how much teaching experinece you have you can download another form which is mainly green (it might be called form B but can't remember) if you want to apply for full registration. Then your headmaster fills it in for you and you sent it off along with your certified documents (which your headmaster can also certify).

If I can do it then it must be straight forward but let me know if you need any more help!!

Archived