should I stock up on work suits in UK

Surely you should support the economy of the country in which you are resident? Why would you support the UK economy once you have left?

I try to buy everything I can locally, if I really have to buy on-line then I will buy from Australian companies unless it really isn't possible. When I move back to the UK I will revert to buying UK goods.

I find it quite disturbing that people think it's okay to personally import goods from the UK and rarely even pay the import duty on them. What's worse is I expect that most people find my views odd because these days most people are focussed on themselves rather than the community they live in.

TBQH I actively avoid supporting the Aus retail industry as IMO it has been greedy and complacent over the years. Every pronouncement from the likes of Bernie Brooks, Gerry Harvey or Solly Lew just reinforces my view of them. They deserve all they get in terms of people avoiding them.

Sort out your back office practices to reduce your costs to internationally competitive ones *without* the need to cut jobs or wages, sort out your pricing to stop insulting the intelligence of your customers, and return some of the "high dollar" dividend to them - you know, the people who fill your pockets - and I might change my mind

Much of Aussie retail just offers rank bad value in my view, and has historically done so because it thought it had a captive market. What a shame the internet has found them out. Not.

Surely you should support the economy of the country in which you are resident? Why would you support the UK economy once you have left?

I try to buy everything I can locally, if I really have to buy on-line then I will buy from Australian companies unless it really isn't possible. When I move back to the UK I will revert to buying UK goods.

I find it quite disturbing that people think it's okay to personally import goods from the UK and rarely even pay the import duty on them. What's worse is I expect that most people find my views odd because these days most people are focussed on themselves rather than the community they live in.

Oh, give over. I do agree with you up to a certain point in terms of supporting the local economy. However, when it comes to large, multinational companies who apply a 100%+ markup to their products for the Oz market, just *because they can* when it bears no relation to the actual extra costs of doing business here, then I'm afraid I lose sympathy with these poor, hard-done-by companies and utterly disagree with your moral viewpoint.

Get over yourself.

Australian retailers make no attempt to be competitive, take for example the price of books, it is an utter disgrace, it is prohibitive and discourages reading in fact. Some overseas competition is needed, there has been to much reliance upon a captive market.

In all honesty I have never shopped as much online that I do now, I have never been a fan of online shopping, but I am afraid there is no way I am going to pay over the odds for something just because someone thinks we earn mega $ (in OZ) which we don't .... not everyone earns a fortune here, it is all fair and dandy supporting local business, and yes I do try to do it myself, but rip off is rip off no matter how it is dressed up ..... As Rupert just mentioned the price of books is terrifying .... I now buy Kindle books .. I prefer a book made out of paper with a front and a back and pages in between, but no way am I going to drop $29+ for the latest releases .....

It is a shame, that stores are closing down, I do feel sorry for them, but since the recession people have woken up, shopping around is now the thing to do, I try to be loyal to our local businesses, but it is not always possible, for example I bought a Fayreform Bra in Town for $59 ... yet when I visited Brisbane a few weeks ago Meyer had the same item on sale for $29 .... so please forgive me for thinking I had paid over the odds ......

Archived