another teaching query - please help!

audre

Hi everyone,

Firstly I would like to say how useful I found this forum in general - great community and incredibly helpful, especially in preparing my visa application so big thanks to all!

I have a short question of my own and would appreciate help / link! Apologies if this has been answered already, I am unsure where to start!

Basically I am in the process of obtaining a partner visa which will enable me to work in Oz but does not require any skills assessment.

I would like to teach in Australia but I am quite flexible - I have a 4-year Qualified Teacher degree and a Master's degree (UK university) and relevant work experience.

Where can I get these qualifications compared to Oz standards?

Are these documents valid when applying / submitting them to employers as proof of qualifications? I have checked the AITSL website, but they seem to be specifically for Skilled Migration applicants.

Many thanks for your help, I would appreciate any info or experiences!

Audre :smile:

Hi everyone,

Firstly I would like to say how useful I found this forum in general - great community and incredibly helpful, especially in preparing my visa application so big thanks to all!

I have a short question of my own and would appreciate help / link! Apologies if this has been answered already, I am unsure where to start!

Basically I am in the process of obtaining a partner visa which will enable me to work in Oz but does not require any skills assessment.

I would like to teach in Australia but I am quite flexible - I have a 4-year Qualified Teacher degree and a Master's degree (UK university) and relevant work experience.

Where can I get these qualifications compared to Oz standards?

Are these documents valid when applying / submitting them to employers as proof of qualifications? I have checked the AITSL website, but they seem to be specifically for Skilled Migration applicants.

Many thanks for your help, I would appreciate any info or experiences!

Audre :smile:

As you already have a visa, the next step will be for you to approach the teaching registration board of the State in which you wish to teach. You can also get your qualifications assessed by the overseas qualification unit, which gives you an official comparison of degrees.

The Teaching registration board will require all of your academic transcripts ( including the number of supervised teaching days you completed as a student.

Employers will only consider you once the teaching registration board has given you permission to teach.Both private and government schools require proof of registration.

Each board is different and there is a fee involved, which is quite high for overseas applicants.

I would suggest contacting the board of your choice and then collating all of the required documentation. They will also require a copy of your visa before they register you.

Good luck.

Many thanks for a detailed response Sammy1! I will definitely look into that!

I do have an additional question which I forgot to address in my first one, if you or anyone can help with:

What about applying for teaching at University level, higher education, as a University tutor / casual teaching positions? I have heard it depends from University to University, but I am wondering if there are any specific requirements or methods to go about it? I have had difficulty locating such threads in PIO referring to jobs in higher education / academic.

Thanks once again!

If you look at some jobs from specific unis they will tell you the exact requirements for that position, on the job spec - for eg if you google 'flinders uni jobs' and go to.the academic jobs, you can see the requirements for the different positions - from what I've seen I don't think there is a registration requirement like teaching in.schools, so the requirements will vary from uni to.uni (flinders is a local to me one in SA).

It's not always that expensive to get your qualifications assessed by the state teachers rego board Sammy, think it depends on the individual state - SA its only $110, not that bad compared to all the other fees lol :D

(Sorry for bad typing, still on.phone).

Hi, no info to add just to say what everyone is saying about is correct. My girlfriend is a teacher coming with me on a partner visa (Im aussie) she doesnt have to bother with the skills assesment stuff, just applied directly to Victorian Teaching Institue to register as a teacher, its a bit of a hastle, you have to get certified copies of so many bits and pieces. The degree, your transcript (u may have to request this from your uni if u dont have it (she didnt), a statement from the uni saying how many teaching days were included in the teacher training part of your degree etc

Many thanks for a detailed response Sammy1! I will definitely look into that!

I do have an additional question which I forgot to address in my first one, if you or anyone can help with:

What about applying for teaching at University level, higher education, as a University tutor / casual teaching positions? I have heard it depends from University to University, but I am wondering if there are any specific requirements or methods to go about it? I have had difficulty locating such threads in PIO referring to jobs in higher education / academic.

Thanks once again!

A number of teachers also work as casual tutors in the education departments at universities. It is best to approach the individual universities. Sometimes they do advertise on Seek.com, but most of the time it is though personal contact. Most of the tutors have an MA, as well as a BA.

Teachers are often to be found in TAFE's teaching in a number of areas, including adult literacy. An MA is not normally required, but good experience is a necessity.

Hey everyone,

Thanks so much for the responses, I found all of it really helpful! According to my research, if I wanted to teach in schools, I can get a Statement of Eligibility (e.g. NSW Institute of Teachers) which I can submit to employers. Not sure what the difference between that and officially registering is, but seems like a simpler process?

Good to know universities and TAFE are more flexible - I just need to get my foot in the door with solid local experience and take it from there.

I got the statement of eligability from NSW about a year ago. It was fairly easy to apply for, and came through in a few weeks. As others have said I needed to send them degree and PGCE transcripts to prove I was qualified. Once in Auz, I had to apply for permission to teach from the NSW DEC, and had to go on an overseas trained teacher course (but I think they have stopped these). I can't remember it being unexpectedly expensive, but may be wrong. Depending on your teaching subject/age of students taught and location getting a permanent job may not be quick.

Archived