Dr's waiting times?

Guest Guest 47403

I assumed GP's in the UK were NHS employees, is that not the case?

They can buy into a practice and are therefore partners in the practice (as can nurses and managers). They are self employed and hold contracts for different services. The practice earns (public)money based on the work they do and how they provide the services. Or they can be salaried, where they are employed and paid by the practice partners.

At least that's how it was until recently. I'm not sure if it's changed with the new care commissioning groups...

They can buy into a practice and are therefore partners in the practice (as can nurses and managers). They are self employed and hold contracts for different services. The practice earns (public)money based on the work they do and how they provide the services. Or they can be salaried, where they are employed and paid by the practice partners.

At least that's how it was until recently. I'm not sure if it's changed with the new care commissioning groups...

Wow, I never knew that - I've learnt something today. It all sounds so open to abuse to me, at least it's still free at the point of service in the UK (for now!)

Wow, I never knew that - I've learnt something today. It all sounds so open to abuse to me, at least it's still free at the point of service in the UK (for now!)

Hi Jules2409, my OH is a GP we owned our own surgery in the UK with me as managing partner, over here he is contracted to work for a 100% bulk billing practice. So in effect self employed in both countries and these are common methods of working as a GP. Just because you are self employed doesn't mean you leave your ethics at the door. Whilst GPs are well paid following many years of training you would only need to have worked with me behind the scenes for one day and you would have been amazed at what is expected of them. In the UK at the moment there is a survey being undertaken on burnout for GPs. It doesn't matter what our opinion is of GPs and how they are paid . When i am ill what I want to see is a doc happy in his/her job with brill communication skills, lots of compassion and up to date with the latest treatments.... er just like my OH. :biggrin: