Calling all IT Contractors for advice...

racht

Just wondered if there are any IT Contractors out there?

My OH has an option of working for a company but wanted to first weigh up the IT contract market over there. Also, he heard that contractors over there dont set up Ltd companies and go self employed instead. Any info greatly appreciated.

Guest dwaldron

My partner is in IT and we found that a very broad set of skills was expect, i.e. CCNA/CCNP as well as MCSE and maybe something else thrown in as well! I think that most contractors are simply self employed rather than incorporated because company tax rates are higher than personal rates (30%). Personal tax rates don't hit 30% until you get to $30,000 and you can claim the usual tax deductions as a sole trader anyway.

Thanks for that. Is your partner a contractor or employed?

My OH does mainly Oracle stuff - I have no idea what those letters above mean...will have to ask him when he gets home! I do know he has a broad experience of different areas, just dont know which or what they are called. Pardon my ignorance...just when I catch onto a few letters, SQL, JAVA, they seem to change and he's working on something else!!! Better stick to my day job!

Thanks again for reply.

Guest dwaldron
Thanks for that. Is your partner a contractor or employed?

My OH does mainly Oracle stuff - I have no idea what those letters above mean...will have to ask him when he gets home! I do know he has a broad experience of different areas, just dont know which or what they are called. Pardon my ignorance...just when I catch onto a few letters, SQL, JAVA, they seem to change and he's working on something else!!! Better stick to my day job!

Thanks again for reply.

My partner is employed but is on the hardware/network side of things so a bit different to programming. I imagine that contract work in programming would be easier to pick up as companies have short term projects to get underway.

Guest dwaldron

He is with Fujitsu who advertise their jobs on their website rather than through a recruitment agency, but most use an agency and I think the key is to find a good one, unfortunately they seem very hard to find so be prepared for a bit of frustration.

Archived