Advice on Canberra Please

Jonord1

We are due to move to Canberra at the end of June/start of July. We are a couple in our early 30s, with two children 2.5 and nearly 1. Initially, we will be going into serviced apartments, but are looking for a longer term rent in Holt, or Harrison. Does anyone have any views on those neighbourhoods? We're keen for somewhere with access to parks for our children and a decent selection of local shops. any thoughts would be gratefully received. Would be good to meet up with PIO people when we are there too. We're from Durham.

Holt feeds into the new Kingsford Smith k-10 school which wouldn't really be my choice school-wise. It had some teething problems but whether it's back on track now I have no idea it might be ok by the time your kids hit school. Why those two suburbs in particular? Holt is a 1970s suburb and so more established than Harrison which is a much newer suburb. Wherever you go in Canberra you are going to find a good deal of open space and playgrounds. If you are planning to put the kids in child care while you both work then there are child care centres close enough to both but if you are planning in being a SAHM then the outer burbs can be a bit soul destroying. Holt is close to Kippax which is one of the larger local centres, Harrison is close to Gungahlin town centre which is a bit bigger. Blocks in Holt would tend to be bigger but the houses just that little bit more dated. On balance, Harrison probably has a higher socio economic status but you are going to find social housing all over.

Best thing will be to have a trip around and eyeball the suburbs, check out the local coffee shops etc when you arrive. Check out the commute. You might find you click with somewhere quite different

Guest Bazinga

Where will you be working? They are pretty far apart so have a look where you need to get to. I like Holt. Some great play groups at Kippax. Your kids won't start preschool til 4 turning 5 so you have time to move if need be. I like kingsford smith, I know one of the kindy teachers. There are other options, southern cross early childhood goes to yr2. I'd say lower rent in Holt maybe.

I live in Holt and much prefer it to the orher suburbs ive lived at in Belconnen. I think because it is close to Kippax so there is a good community feel and it's walking distance for me. Buses are pretty good from Kippax. There are playgroups, library, Woolies and Aldi, various other shops and eateries, couple of clubs. It's bigger than local shops. Higgins, Macgregor and Latham are also all neighbouring suburbs. Am reserving judgement on KSS as my children start preschool next year, maybe not there although I know others with kids there who are happy.

I'm not a fan of Harrison or Gungahlin in general which is personal preference as I don't like the modern houses and tiny blocks etc.

Edited by Jurls

There seems to be quite a few ex Middlesbrough residents on the site.

But you seem to be the first I've seen heading to ACT, although I did have some correspondence from a Newcastle man last year, who seemed to be enjoying it.

Im from Teesville.

Ill be keeping an eye on your posts, I know it's not much but it would be nice to have a friend out there.

Ive been delaying our visa a bit, as I want to try and time the grant for July, which gives us a year to validate and let's our son finish his GCSE,s.

What do you do and are you excited?

we're very excited - although nervous too, as you can imagine. Teesville - I know it well. I used to work on Fabian Road, at the Town Hall. I work in public policy now, so looking for work in that sort of field. happy to meet up before we go if you like. If you want, DM me your email address and I can let you know how things are going?

we're very excited - although nervous too, as you can imagine. Teesville - I know it well. I used to work on Fabian Road, at the Town Hall. I work in public policy now, so looking for work in that sort of field. happy to meet up before we go if you like. If you want, DM me your email address and I can let you know how things are going?

You might struggle to find a policy job in the public service - APS positions usually require citizenship but ACT Gov positions only require permanent residence - you might need to cast your net a bit wider. Just a heads up for when you do arrive.

My mum's mob are from Byers Green with some just own the road fom Sedgefield in Chilton. Canberra will be quite unlike anything up there!

Hi Skellysgirl. We actually live in Sedgefield at the moment - hope to be in Canberra by Sept. I'm originally from Middlesbrough, used to live in Hutton Road at Longlands. Would be great to keep in touch - Boro people in Canberra!

Hey Jonord1, I'm from boro and I've been living in Canberra for four years now. I really love it here. Feel free to get in touch when you're over here, it'd be great to hear a boro accent (aside from my own)!