Hi Everyone,

My girlfriend and I are just waiting for our application to go through at the moment before heading out to join you all in Brisbane. We have been fortunate enough to have been offered sponsorship through her employers.

I am a Security Systems Technician by trade and I would like to hear from anyone who has moved to Queensland with a trade. Did you find it difficult to transfer your qualifications over? I want to transfer my quals before we leave so I can start work as soon as possible. I am aware of the TRA approach, but as far as I understand this is only used if you are applying for migration using the trade skills. Am I wrong?

I also know that I need to get a Queensland cable licence and Security checks (vetting), does your employer usually do this on your behalf or do you need to get it done before you even apply for a job?

Any info is greatly appreciated

:smile:

Kind regards

Jim

Have a look at this site mate: http://www.skillingsolutions.qld.gov.au/

It’s a free Government training and career info service.

One thing they do is look at your existing quals, on the job learnt skills etc to see if it's possible to convert them to recognized Oz qualifications or, if a straight swap isn't possible, they'll help determine what courses (or parts of courses) you'll need to take to be able to obtain the relevant Oz qualification.

Only downside is you can't access these services from overseas - you have to be resident here in Queensland for them to help you out.

Best of luck with the move!

Archived