Classy Brits in Clarkson

Aussie Hopeful

When you say southerners do you mean Southerners from the UK? Like the posts above say you don't have to move very far to feel a world away from that behaviour. Yo don't have to go as far as South of the River either, Ocean Reef, Iluka, Beaumaris, Craigie, Mullaloo would do. When they started Clarkson off they used to call it Balga on sea.

I've been here 21 years and the only time I've seen anything like that was a couple of aborigines at it in the middle of the day in a park in Darwin.

There was a funny article in the NT post (there's one funny paper). There was a picture of a paddy wagon taken by a girl following it. The headline said shaggin wagon and the picture had a line through it. You can see through the bars of the wagons up there and they had picked up a couple of aborigines in the daytime for being drunk and they had got it on in the back of the wagon on the way to the lockup. Said girl followed the wagon for ages and took a few photos. Must have been intrigued.

Pity you didn't get a few shots, doesn't that type of thing usually end up on facebook or twitter, I'm sure someone will have it.

Don't write Perth off just because of what you see in Clarkson. We're not all surrounded by out of control southerners.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Difference is that Canning Vale is not regularly in the news or known for anti social behaviour , whereas Clarkson unfortunately is.

So, you have the odd isolated incident versus a consistent list of issues.

Given the choice of Canning Vale or Clarkson I would go for Clarkson every time. Has no one been young and done stupid stuff? I went out with a few girls when I was a teenager and in my early 20's. I had one girlfriend from Matlock and we used to "park up" every night. The parking spots were at a premium and a couple of time we pulled into a farm laneway thinking we were safe, only to be moved on by the farmer coming in from the pub, sat there with is headlights on while we got dressed. I'm sure they had a laugh about it though.

I'm not saying it's right to carry on like that and they could have kept the noise down, but I'm sure if people are truthful, just about everyone could think of risky places where they've "got it on". I can think of loads and been caught out a few times.

Given the choice of Canning Vale or Clarkson I would go for Clarkson every time. Has no one been young and done stupid stuff? I went out with a few girls when I was a teenager and in my early 20's. I had one girlfriend from Matlock and we used to "park up" every night. The parking spots were at a premium and a couple of time we pulled into a farm laneway thinking we were safe, only to be moved on by the farmer coming in from the pub, sat there with is headlights on while we got dressed. I'm sure they had a laugh about it though.

I'm not saying it's right to carry on like that and they could have kept the noise down, but I'm sure if people are truthful, just about everyone could think of risky places where they've "got it on". I can think of loads and been caught out a few times.

Me too!

Given the choice of Canning Vale or Clarkson I would go for Clarkson every time.

Why? Just NOR/SOR snobbery or are there things you don't like about Canning Vale? It just seems very boring to me but then I think that about most Perth suburbs.

Why? Just NOR/SOR snobbery or are there things you don't like about Canning Vale? It just seems very boring to me but then I think that about most Perth suburbs.

Nothing to do with NOR/SOR snobbery Jules, I've never understood that concept. When we came we rented in Como for about a year and got really friendly with our landlord and family. They owned the house at the front and had developed their back block for a couple of rental apartments.

He was a New Zealander but had lived in Perth most of his life and his wife was born in Perth. They told us about the NOR/SOR thing and living South was supposed to be the best and NOR was for the "working class". When we moved to where we are his comment was "That's South Geraldton" lol. At the time though Mitchell Freeway only went as far as Hepburn Ave and Ocean Reef was just being developed.

The reason I would go for Clarkson is it's near the beach and Canning Vale is just too far away for me. Couldn't imagine not being close enough to the beach to go every day. If the day ever came that we had to go back to the UK I think I would have to be near the ocean there too.

Canning Vale seems very industrial too and doesn't it have the overhead power pylons? That would ruin any suburb.

Archived