Sightseeing in St. Kilda

stu32uk

Hi all,

So I've booked my hostel for the first week in St. Kilda... I was just wondering whether anyone has got any recommendations as to things to look for/places to go/bars or restaurants to visit? It'd be handy to get the names of a few places that are "newbie traveller" friendly.

Cheers,

Stu.

Hi Stu,

St. Kilda isn't a particularly big place, so you won't have much trouble finding everything. Ackland Street is full of good bars and restaurants – I recommend Veludo and Big Mouth (bars) on the weekends.

You’ve obviously got Luna Park which is worth a look. Fitzroy Street is home to the Elephant and Wheelbarrow and numerous other bars, and the ESPY on the promenade is worth checking out, especially on a Sunday.

When I first moved over I stayed at the Barkly Hotel backpackers. The bar there is always lively and a good place to meet other backpackers.

Enjoy!

Go see the penguins at the end of the pier at dusk!

Or penguins at dawn.

I get the feeling that St Kilda has a lot of newbie travellers and is very friendly - it certainly is very active.

Luna park is in St Kilda and the tram route can get you into the CBD quickly.

Thanks for all of the replies! I'll be sure to check them out. It's funny that you mention the Barkly Hotel, Ben, that's where I'm staying :) I saw quite a few people recommending that place as the bar is a good place to meet other backpackers.

Archived