Broken Hill

fluffyhead

Guest chris955

I cant speak as far as living there but have visited 3 times. It is incredibly isolated and my feeling is you really would have to like the dry, hot isolation to get on there. They filmed the second Mad Max film in the area for good reason, it has a feeling of being post apocalyptic.

Never lived there but regularly travel through and have stayed there a fair few times.

It has a poulation of around 20000 but the town was built for about 45000 so fair bits of it look abandoned, not big zones of the town but sort of half the places in some streets if that makes sense. As such it doesn't really have well defined nice or rough parts but you have to be careful where you choose to live as you don't want to end up living next door to an abandoned fibro cottage or a Housing Commission / Aboriginal Land Council house.

It has everything you need - Centro shopping centre with a Woolworths and Big W, Base Hospital, cinema, sports (though despite being in NSW it's very much a South Australian town so AFL dominates), very nice historic town centre - but it is very isolated. The nearest place you'd actually want to go to is Adelaide, five hours away. It does have an airport with flights to both Sydney (some direct, some via Dubbo) and Melbourne but flights can be very expensive. Heading East the nearest place is Wilcannia 250km way; and that's the worst place I've been in Australia.

It wouldn't be my first choice - an example of how rough it is is the bins at the Centro have signs on them saying "Stop. No rummaging through this bin" - butyou could live there and make a life.

I am looking forward to visiting at some point in the future yet to be determined. Are you living in Australia already? I ask because I think that it would be a massive shock to the system if you have not been in Australia, done some road trips and perhaps had a sample of Australian remote living is like.

I am looking forward to visiting at some point in the future yet to be determined. Are you living in Australia already? I ask because I think that it would be a massive shock to the system if you have not been in Australia, done some road trips and perhaps had a sample of Australian remote living is like.

We are in Tasmania but work for the OH is hard to find. Tasmania is beautiful but some people would say it is remote :)

• 1 month later...

I'm a little late to the thread but thought I would chirp in. I moved from the UK to Broken Hill 2 years ago and love it here. I plan on staying another 2-3 years and have just bought a house here. Let me know if you want any more info, I appreciate this was posted several weeks ago so may be too late now for the job.

I'm in health and found it so easy to settle out here, its a very sociable town and I love the hot weather (although its been a chilly 18 degrees today).

Anyway, if it's not too late and you want more info let me know,

Steph :err:

If you like fossicking for minerals, it is a beaut place, otherwise it's hot, or cold depending on the season, dry and isolated. BTW, the locals use Adelaide time even though The Hill is in NSW.

Cheers, Bobj.

I think I'd give it a go myself!Ok so its remote,it might just suit you!I actually prefer remote rural rather than burb and city because although Oz country towns can be abit rough around the edges,the people are usually very friendly and you gain a better sense of community.They have sports clubs and so on,all good for joining socially.People make their own fun,and its nice to walk down a main street and know people to stop and say hello and have a chat.Best of luck,let us know if you took the job and if so,how're settling!

Thanks to all for the replies. We spent Monday and Tuesday in Broken Hill to have a look around. The journey has been amazing, travelling over to Melbourne on the Spirit, then driving to Mildura, and finally arriving in Broken Hill. We split the travelling up by staying overnight in Mildura, which is beautiful. We are both enjoying the fine weather which is great after the arrival of winter in Tassie. Not sure if work for the OH is going to be any more plentiful but we will see. Now just waiting for the official job offer.

Thanks to all for the replies. We spent Monday and Tuesday in Broken Hill to have a look around. The journey has been amazing, travelling over to Melbourne on the Spirit, then driving to Mildura, and finally arriving in Broken Hill. We split the travelling up by staying overnight in Mildura, which is beautiful. We are both enjoying the fine weather which is great after the arrival of winter in Tassie. Not sure if work for the OH is going to be any more plentiful but we will see. Now just waiting for the official job offer.

Sounds good FH!Not everyone has to have a beach on their doorstep and I admire you for considering other options.I know alot of brits back in the 70's settled in the lesser known area's,and have thrived and forged a good life for themselves.Best of luck with the job offer,sorry did I miss something?Was it a nursing job?