SOL/assessment - Law

PoMoSo

Hi all,

Always had good advice from everyone on this forum, so I got another question...

This is actually for my brother. He got UK law degree, no work experience within the field, and no LPC. Would he need to convert his UK degree to an Oz one plus get an LPC in Oz to get a positive assessment or would it be enough with what he has?

We have checked the assessing authorities of all states, and theres really no info about this.

Should also mention that he has a master in IT law from Sweden.

Cheers,

PoMoSo

Each State has it's own rules, you need to look at the Law Society for a particular state and it will say what is required for overseas lawyers to be admitted to practice.

In the case of your brother he won't have the required qualifications to be admitted anywhere at the moment.

My OH has a law degree and the LPC and got his qualifications assessed in WA. They came back with that he had to study 6 additional units at University here in WA and also complete the PLT (the LPC equivalent) as they didn't recognise his LPC from the UK because he was never admitted in the UK (which is crazy considering it was the same education provider!!) All in this was going to cost around $25k and we decided that it wasn't worth it.

Another lawyer we know who came on a 457 is back at Uni doing 4 courses to be able to be admitted here (she was admitted in the UK).

Archived