Tax refunds in the UK - Who has applied?

Guest forshac

Guest forshac

Hi guys,

Have any of you applied for a tax refund? if so, do you have a web link to explain how to do this and perhaps download the form. Having a mare as I cannot locate this anywhere!

Leaving on the 4th Aug OH MY GOD!!

Claire

:shock:

Guest Nelson

Have you got all the info to hand? P60, P45, Tax reference number? Just phone the 0845 number, give your details and ask for your dosh! You'll have to follow up with letter enclosing said forms but that should be it..they are currently six weeks processing requests.. Hope this helps!

Guest Boomer
Hi guys,

Have any of you applied for a tax refund? if so, do you have a web link to explain how to do this and perhaps download the form. Having a mare as I cannot locate this anywhere!

Leaving on the 4th Aug OH MY GOD!!

Claire

:shock:

Hi Claire

I have just sent mine off you need P85:-

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/p85.pdf

It is pretty straightforward.

We are off Thursday!!!

Cheers

Boomer

Guest Alison1967
Have you got all the info to hand? P60, P45, Tax reference number? Just phone the 0845 number, give your details and ask for your dosh! You'll have to follow up with letter enclosing said forms but that should be it..they are currently six weeks processing requests.. Hope this helps!

Thought it was just P85 and P45 as its a new tax year and you can only claim back til april just gone?

Doesn't take much to confuse me.

Ali x

Guest Pasty

Hi

i've just sent mine off today and the form was a P85 and they wanted parts 2 and 3 of your P45 and that was it.

Jackie

Guest jordan

Where will i find my husbands Tax reference number.

Stacey xx

Guest Pasty

The tax reference number is the one on the P45, it's the area where your hubbies tax is sorted. If you don't know ask his payroll office and they will tell you.

Jackie

Guest jordan

On the p85 form it asks Are you leaving the UK to work? Then in section 2 it asks for Employment details. There is no box to tick for Are you mad leaving the UK and going to a different country without a job lined up!!!!! What should i do? Or should i be ticking No to leaving the UK to work Then giving reasons for leaving the UK (better weather, better life for the kids :D). So confused!!!!

Stacey xx ( hate filling in forms) :(

Guest johnp29uk

Is this tax refund really for anyone or just for people who have paid less tax than their yearly amount (according to tax code)

Guest Gollywobbler
On the p85 form it asks Are you leaving the UK to work? Then in section 2 it asks for Employment details. There is no box to tick for Are you mad leaving the UK and going to a different country without a job lined up!!!!! What should i do? Or should i be ticking No to leaving the UK to work Then giving reasons for leaving the UK (better weather, better life for the kids :D). So confused!!!!

Stacey xx ( hate filling in forms) :(

Hi Stacey

Why you are leaving the UK is none of the Revenue's business. I'd be sarcastic in my replies to these impertinent questions.

Cheers

Gill

• 6 months later...

Hi Everyone,

I see from the dates that this was all sent quite a while ago.

I'm not likely to get a P45, as I'm hoping to get posted in Melbourne by my UK company. Im not actually sure who my tax is going to be paid to - UK or Aus govts (hopefully not both - anyone know?).

So can I claim this tax rebate that everyone is talking about?

Cheers,

Spock.

Guest Dunteaching

I think I'm being really obtuse here - why do people leaving the UK get a tax refund? We are flying out in July, when should I claim and how long will I be claiming for? Is it a full refund? Sorry, I know I sound brainless, but tax leaves me confused!

Louise

Guest Marie and Paul

I have just filled mine out as I have recently just given up work, I found a post that said that they had filled in and got some sort of tax back as they would be leaving during their tax year. Anyway we fly out on 16 Apr so I am going to send it and if money hits the bank so be it (more spends in Kuala Lumpur) on route and if not have not lost anything.

If you have a P45 now do the form and see what happens.

• 2 weeks later...

The reason you would get a tax rebate is that the tax year runs from 6th April - april following year. Therefore if you are emigrating before the end of the tax year you would not have used all your allowances due. Every little helps - don't worry too much about P45's if you do not have them as the tax office can write to your last employer for the details anyway - a P85 is def the way to go as they will note on your UK records here that you are no longer employed and this should also mean you would not get any further mail, i.e notices of coding to your old address which are irrelevant. If you cannot find your PAYE ref's as long as you state your National Insurance number and current address they will be able to update your records accordingly. Hope this helps abit!

• 2 weeks later...

its well worth the hassle, when i came to spain i got a cheque for 6000 pounds... which was nice...

i doubt whether the Spanish will give me a leaving gift though.

Archived