Starting school - Kindergarten

Team Edwards

Hi

Anyone out there who can confirm when my 4 year old would start school (Kindy i guess is their equivalent to the UKs reception year)? He will turn 5 in October.

I have been in contact with a school in NSW, they said he would start his preparation from September 2013 and commence kindergarten 2014. I But when 2014? I thought February but reading up on a few things it says that they can start Kindy if they turn 5 on or before 31st July - which of course he doesn't?

He is so ready for school now. If we were in the UK he would be starting school in September!!!!

We are due to fly out early August this year...

Confusing myself by reading too much i think!!!!

If he turns 5 October this year then he will start full time school at the end of Jan 2014. Different states have different nomenclature - so kindergarten in NSW & ACT is the first year of full time school. For the rest of 2013 you might have to put him in child care unless you can swing a preschool place which could be tricky - have to pay for it as well. Term 1 usually starts within a day or two of Australia Day

If he turns 5 October this year then he will start full time school at the end of Jan 2014. Different states have different nomenclature - so kindergarten in NSW & ACT is the first year of full time school. For the rest of 2013 you might have to put him in child care unless you can swing a preschool place which could be tricky - have to pay for it as well. Term 1 usually starts within a day or two of Australia Day

That's great, thank you! That's as i originally thought but then started getting my knickers in a twist thinking he might not be able to start school until he is 6!!!

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

In Victoria children don't have to start school until they are 6 yrs old and some parents will hold their kids back (especially boys) so that rather than being amongst the youngest in the class they will be among the oldest and potentially bigger, stronger and smarter? If I remember right you can find a calculator on the department of education web site which will tell you exactly when your child will be eligible to start school.

The Education Act mandates that all Australian children must be in school by their 6th birthday and the vast majority of parents send their kids when they become eligible - that depends on the state but essentially that they turn 5 before a cut off date which is anywhere between 30 April and 31 July. NSW is the latest, Vic and ACT are earliest and the others are in the middle.

Archived