Advice about Altona, Victoria

Mollie13

Hello,

I am emigrating to Australia in the coming months and cannot get over to look at places to live and it seems that Altona looks reasonably priced for its seaside location. I have been told that it is quite an industrial place though. Does anyone know how industrial and if it is a nice enough place to live?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

thank you

Hi there

What part of Altona? Most of it isn't really "seaside", although there is water and some sand it just isn't a nice beach. If it is near the Williamstown Beach then that's a nice beach, although it does get windy. Altona is somewhat convenient, yes. It's an ok place, although it depends what part of Altona you are in as to how industrial it is. I used to live in Newport and would go for walks in Altona occasionally and would drive through it every now and then. It doesn't have much character - unlike Williamstown and even Newport which now has the overflow from the more expensive suburb of Williamstown.

I'd suggest the area of Newport closest to Williamstown, which is convenient for supermarkets and banks and for transportation, but maybe that is too expensive for you. There are some alright areas of Newport near the station too - quiet streets and not much crime.

Edited by violethaze

Seaside oil refinery, chemical storage etc,

Short in distance to CBD, long is commute time to CBD

If you desire close to seaside Williamstown and Newport have good offerings but so does port melbourne? or why not try further up the Yarra?

Guest guest48800

Hi Mollie13,

we stayed in Altona for our recce last year and quite liked it to be honest. We had a good wander round, the place had a nice community feel to it, small schools (relatively speaking), transport links etc. quite liked the beach and the pier. Has a few cafe's/restaurants, takeaways, banks, chippy & ice cream parlour plus supermarket. Couple of parks and open areas, golf course nearby, swim school....Depends what you're after really. Like I say, we liked it and are planning on settling there to begin with, all being well.

Agree with OP's that Altona doesn't have the character of Williamstown, or the beautiful old housing, but then I felt quite 'closed in there' as houses all very tightly packed (IMO).

To us Altona had a more open feel. Yes, there are some 'suspect' areas, ( we didn't like the look of the Westona end), and as you come out of town there are industrial areas and the refinery, but didn't think it was too bad at all.

Guest guest48800

On a more constructive note....

I know there is a family on here who initially went to Point Cook but then moved round to Seaholme, which is the eastern end of Altona, don't remember the name though, they may be able to give you a first hand opinion.

horses for courses and all that, but Melbourne is a city and Willamstown, Newport, Altona are all (IMO) city limit suburbs, it's not the country and it's not a beach resort.

For some (like us), Altona offers a starting point with regards to affordability and proximity to the City, it also has the transport links that Newer suburbs lack.

Hello,

I am emigrating to Australia in the coming months and cannot get over to look at places to live and it seems that Altona looks reasonably priced for its seaside location. I have been told that it is quite an industrial place though. Does anyone know how industrial and if it is a nice enough place to live?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

thank you

Where are you coming from Mollie?What is like where you live now?

I think this may have a bearing on places you are considering to settle.

In England I'm from council estates and dark satanic factories,so Altona seems quite good to me.

I lived in Altona Meadows for about 7 years then we moved on.It's relatively cheap and has everything you need in the way of facilities.Hey it's even got a pier:wink:.One man's 'sh!t hole' may be your paradise.

You can pm me with any specific Qs if you like.

Edited by kipper2

Guest guest48800
Where are you coming from Mollie?What is like where you live now?

I think this may have a bearing on places you are considering to settle.

In England I'm from council estates and dark satanic factories,so Altona seems quite good to me.

I lived in Altona Meadows for about 7 years then we moved on.It's relatively cheap and has everything you need in the way of facilities.Hey it's even got a pier:wink:.One mans 'sh!t hole' my be your paradise.

You can pm me with any specific Qs if you like.

Agree with you Kipper2, where we live now isn't exactly a paradise, old Coal mining town, so Altona seemed ok to us.

i'd be interested in any feedback on Altona meadows if you're willing, we're also looking that way but not sure what the school is like, or what areas to avoid, is it ok to PM you please?

Pier/jetty...awww i knew what i meant anyway....it's wooden and sticks out into the sea and you can fish off it! Maybe not Brighton though! :laugh:

Agree with you Kipper2, where we live now isn't exactly a paradise, old Coal mining town, so Altona seemed ok to us.

i'd be interested in any feedback on Altona meadows if you're willing, we're also looking that way but not sure what the school is like, or what areas to avoid, is it ok to PM you please?

Pier/jetty...awww i knew what i meant anyway....it's wooden and sticks out into the sea and you can fish off it! Maybe not Brighton though! :laugh:

No probs..pm away

I work in Altona and yes there us a lot of heavy industry but on the outskirts and to be honest it's not that bad. Once you are in the centre of Altona or down near the beach you wouldn't know it's there.

There are some dodgy areas as there are every where and i agree with an earlier post, the westona end, i would stay away from as that is where the industrual part is.

There are some good cafes, restaurants and bars popping up in the centre which is close to the beach. It's not the nicest beach we have in Melbourne but its ok and a nice retreat for me on my lunch break.

I live in point cook and often drive through Altona Meadows and sea brook on my way home, they're not bad either.