help needed! how does the health system work in oz?

rolypolybird

im an aussie citizen as is our 2 year old daughter but we have live in the uk for all my life so have not worked or paid taxes in aus ever...waiting for partner visa to come through and we are moving to oz...how does the healthcare system work? with childrens jabs? checkups? etc would we have to pay??

need help as im clueless on this matter!!

You and your family will all be entitled to Medicare but you will need to go in to a Medicare office when you first arrive to register. You don't register with a GP in Australia like you do in the UK and you can go to which ever doctors you want, although on your first visit you will probably have to fill in some forms and have a longer first appointment.

Whether you pay for a drs appointment will depend on the dr. Basically Medicare pays a certain amount for each drs appointment. Some doctors will only charge the amount that Medicare pays for and you will not have to pay anything. This is referred to as bulk billing. Other doctors will charge more than the Medicare amount and you will have to pay the difference. Normally this works by you paying the full amount and then getting the money back from Medicare. If you register your bank account details with Medicare then in most places this refund is done automatically when you pay the drs bill. Otherwise you may have to go in to the Medicare office to claim or get a cheque sent through the post.

I'm not sure about jabs but your daughter will need some. I suggest when you get here finding a nice drs near where you are living and go in and see them about what needs to happen.

Archived