Perth - 6 months on.......

Goochie

Guest Guest55385
Goochie,

Thank You for the above post, i have found it extremely inciteful, informative and interesting.

I am a current serving police officer in the UK and have been successful in applying for WAPOL and am due to start on 30th September. Based on todays exchange rates my salary is due to increase significantly. Which by all counts is a massive incentive for the move etc along with all the other standard reasons - family time etc etc etc.

On moving i was going to look into finance deals for a car, so thank you for the info about John Hughes cars, something for me to look into, as i have a 186 PR visa now granted.

I can only hope that i will be writing something of a similar nature this time next year, after being in WA for 6 months.

Once again Thanks for the above.

James

An ex Brit-WA-Policeman wrote a book recently about his experiences over here. It wasn't a positive read. I have a friend who's practising as a social worker here and her opinion, like many, is that WA police are racist, bigoted, rude, arrogant and stupid. Oh and lazy and unprofessional... They need a facelift

Guest Guest55385

We've been screwed on our car finance because of our visa. If you can help it, get a British loan and bring it over with you. We've paid $9000 for a $6000 car over 2 yrs... a shitty, horrible, people carrier we wouldn't touch in the UK. It's UK price is also about £2000.

Unless you want to live in a faceless, characterless community with sod all going on, expect to pay $800 a WEEK rent and upwards.

Shopping bills are $400 a week for our family of 5, I cook from scratch.. very limited ingredients too.

We had a better quality of life back home (good education, good food, nice cars, foreign holidays) although there wasn't the sunshine - although Aussie's avoid this and the most Vit D deficient country in the world. You may be frowned upon for allowing your kids in the sun!!

​If we had known then, what we know now, we wouldn't have come over.

An ex Brit-WA-Policeman wrote a book recently about his experiences over here. It wasn't a positive read. I have a friend who's practising as a social worker here and her opinion, like many, is that WA police are racist, bigoted, rude, arrogant and stupid. Oh and lazy and unprofessional... They need a facelift

If it had been all positive and nice no-one wold have read it.

WA police are racist, bigoted, rude, arrogant and stupid. Oh and lazy and unprofessional

Most of them are from the UK. Talk to a few of them and you will see how many, you only have to watch the news and see some interviewed to know where they come from. Not found much difference between here and the UK tbh. Wouldn't have the job in either country for a gold pig and ten younguns.

We've been screwed on our car finance because of our visa. If you can help it, get a British loan and bring it over with you. We've paid $9000 for a $6000 car over 2 yrs... a shitty, horrible, people carrier we wouldn't touch in the UK. It's UK price is also about £2000.

Unless you want to live in a faceless, characterless community with sod all going on, expect to pay $800 a WEEK rent and upwards.

Shopping bills are $400 a week for our family of 5, I cook from scratch.. very limited ingredients too.

We had a better quality of life back home (good education, good food, nice cars, foreign holidays) although there wasn't the sunshine - although Aussie's avoid this and the most Vit D deficient country in the world. You may be frowned upon for allowing your kids in the sun!!

​If we had known then, what we know now, we wouldn't have come over.

You chose the car, can't really blame anything else.

good education, good food, nice cars, foreign holidays

You can get and do all that here. Good thing is you might not need a holiday as every weekend you can do what you pay thousands for in the UK. That is get to somewhere with nice beaches and sunshine.

You may be frowned upon for allowing your kids in the sun!!

By who? We've been here 20+ years, have a 23 year old and an 18 year old and they've grown up knowing they can go to the beach anytime. They've both been in the local surf club since they were 7 and still spend heaps of time there. Never known anyone say a word, other than some strange comments on here, about kids and us going in the sun. Love it.

Sorry your having such a tough time.

Hello Speed 1439

Your Old Bill (sorry for the slang mate I come from east London) what do you think of the crime in Oz compared to the uk ? I mean where I come from muggings ,armed robbery , break ins, drugs , car thefts , murders, is the norm we had 7 break in attempts on our house in London what is the difference down under . I know you ain't there yet but what would expect with your new job ,we will be getting out there around the end of the year, all the best with your move

Compared to where you are coming from mate it will seem non-existent. We had 2 cars nicked and the wheels stolen once inside a year where we lived in the UK (near Staockport). Never saw either car again, the thieves must have made a killing out of us.

Sure there are suburbs where it's worse than others but you have the chance to avoid them and may as well do that, seeing as you're moving so far. Not had anything happen to the cars, house or anything and we don't even have a garage.

I have a friend in the police and he loves it. See him sometimes on Saturday and Sunday doing the beach patrol on the dune buggy thing.

Archived