IELTS. Academic or general

travelchic

Hi all.

I have completed an academic test with results L8, R7.5, W8.5 and S8.5. I needed 7's or above to have my skills assessed by ANMAC (I'm a nurse). I Am pleased that my skills can now been assessed, however, I needed 8's in all categories as I need the 20 points (it's an age thing). I have re-booked the academic test but my migration agent has said that a general test is sufficient. My big question is should I just keep the academic test or should I change it to a general? Is there much difference in the tests? Has anyone out there done both and can give me comparisons please.

Grateful mucho!!!

Debs x

I have a book but its mostly academic. As far as I can tell the listening and the speaking are the same for both. It's just the reading and writing that differs. Someone posted on here not so long ago with loads of links to help. Type in IELTS in the search box and have a look. I am sure one of them was a link to you tube.

I only took the test 2 weeks ago. You can take in pens, pencils, rubbers and highlighters. You can just carry them in or put them in a clear food bag. You can take in a bottle of water, has to be a clear bottle though. You have to leave your coat in a cloak room so wear a jumper if you're likely to get cold. You spend some time in the morning getting registered and seated. Exam starts about 9.45 and finishes about 1pm. That covers listening, reading and writing. When you are seated at your desk it will have your details on a piece of paper with a time to attend for your speaking exam. Mine was at 5pm which was a bore. Had to wait round all day. Hope this helps.

Debs x

Commander. I have got 2 sample writing teste in this book. They both have 2 tasks.

Test 1 - in 150 words write a letter to a shop manager to complain about a piece of kitchen equipment that does not work.

In 250 words write about the following topic. Some people think that it is better to educate girls and boys in separate schools.

Others, however, believe that boys and girls benefit from attending mixed schools. Discuss both these views and give your own

opinion.

Test 2 - in 150 words write a letter to a friend telling them about your new house.

In 250 words discuss why more people are travelling now than ever before and what are the benefits of travelling.

No graphs are mentioned. Hope this helps.

Deb x

Hi Travelchic I asked a similar question recently as Im in same boat as you and the consensus was general! Where you looking at doing it at? Im from Sunderland but general one not till end of May so thinking of heading up to Edinburgh. Good luck

Hi nic1171. I am booked onto the 11 may academic but the general is on 23 may I think. I am going to go for the general. I have paid for the academic and they said they will give me the fee back minus a 34.00 admin fee lol. Cheeky. I am doing it in liverpool. It's only 10 miles away from my home. Good luck with yours. Let me know how you get on if you do yours before me.

Debs x

Hi Debs its all money money money! I was going for SS (190) with QLD for extra 5 points and so wouldnt have needed it but now QLD have removed Aged Care Nurse from SOL so thats why I need extra points for 189 instead. Where you heading?

Nic x

I have a couplle of friends in the Perth area so that's where I am heading. I am going as a single parent so need support. Have you got family or friends in Queensland? Why can't you just apply as a medical nurse. I am an endoscopy nurse which comes under unscheduled care in the trust that I work in so I'm applying as a medical nurse. I have never worked on a medical ward but endoscopy isn't described anywhere else.

Debs x

Im going as a single parent too! Never been, know one person who will be there or not long after me. Ive done lot of googling and the climate appealed as does the closeness (In Oz standards!) of other states for travelling. ANMAC gave me Anzsco of Aged Nurse Care and I think QLD is only one not too list, mad as apprently when there they dont even ask re code and will be likely I will do community placement of sorts. So thats why Im gonna try Ielts again failing that will look at sponsorship elsewhere.

When you hoping to be there?

Nic x

I am not in a great hurry but I am 42 so have to have it all sorted before I turn 44 or I'll lose points. I have a house to sell too but won't put that on the market until I have the visa in my hand. So it'll probably be ages. Saying that, a friend of mine was in the same position as me and her house sold in 3 days. Can you believe that. So you never know ha ha. Good luck with your test. Have you used the online practice tests. They are really good. They even tell you how many points you would get for your answers.

Deb x

Hi all.

I have completed an academic test with results L8, R7.5, W8.5 and S8.5. I needed 7's or above to have my skills assessed by ANMAC (I'm a nurse). I Am pleased that my skills can now been assessed, however, I needed 8's in all categories as I need the 20 points (it's an age thing). I have re-booked the academic test but my migration agent has said that a general test is sufficient. My big question is should I just keep the academic test or should I change it to a general? Is there much difference in the tests? Has anyone out there done both and can give me comparisons please.

Grateful mucho!!!

Debs x

Hi Debs,

You are making sufficient points from your recent result, then you dont need to retake. Its better to call and ask the assessing body which module they recommend? I believe it should be General but I am not sure.

Thanks shaz2013. I have booked onto the general test. It's an easier test to do by the look of it but you need to score more points for an 8. I think in the reading I can get 36 out of 40 for an 8 where as in the academic I can get 34 and still get an 8. That's how I understood it on the online calculator. But don't quote me on that ha ha. I was looking at it whilst drinking a glass of wine!!!!

Hi nic1171. I am booked onto the 11 may academic but the general is on 23 may I think. I am going to go for the general. I have paid for the academic and they said they will give me the fee back minus a 34.00 admin fee lol. Cheeky. I am doing it in liverpool. It's only 10 miles away from my home. Good luck with yours. Let me know how you get on if you do yours before me.

Debs x

You have done the right thing. You have the academic that you need for skills assessment, but for points, general is enough and it is much easier. You were so close the first time though!

Thanks shaz2013. I have booked onto the general test. It's an easier test to do by the look of it but you need to score more points for an 8. I think in the reading I can get 36 out of 40 for an 8 where as in the academic I can get 34 and still get an 8. That's how I understood it on the online calculator. But don't quote me on that ha ha. I was looking at it whilst drinking a glass of wine!!!!

I think its 38/40 but I may be wrong. The general module is easier but you need to score high. Good luck with the test.

Archived