Any body need a carpenter/ accredited builder, Hobart surrounds

buster11

• 1 month later...

Hi there, hoping to move to Tassie later this year. Thinking of buying a block to build but been told it isn't as cost effective as buying. What's your opinion and are there any architects you would recommend to draw up plans for us. We are visiting again in July with intention of buying a block within 30 minutes of Hobart. THanks in advance. Anne

hi coleraine64 , difficult question, if your after a medium size house nothing to flash on an average block then buy a house. i think its down to where you want to live country, beach or suburbia. yes builders are competitive and house prices are probably better! I bought a small house on acreage and i am in the process of building 2 extensions i think its down personal taste. I would use a draughts men for any plans , cheaper but no call backs for any questions the builder will need to work it out!

Sorry to hear you are struggling.We are up in the North, and its dire here. Theres no sign of recovery,and most of the tradies we know are heading off to the mainland now.

We know builders who have said they have never seen it like this in 30 years, its statewide.

We have been involved in the building industry for nearly 6 years, and have never known it this quiet.

The first time buyers grant being increased, was meant to stimulate things, but it hasent worked, too much uncertanty with job losses,to make much difference.

Hope you manage to find something.Maybe an ad in the paper, or put a few notices in shops etc,,,,got to be worth a try.

Hi there, hoping to move to Tassie later this year. Thinking of buying a block to build but been told it isn't as cost effective as buying. What's your opinion and are there any architects you would recommend to draw up plans for us. We are visiting again in July with intention of buying a block within 30 minutes of Hobart. THanks in advance. Anne

Honestly, if you are thinking of building, weigh up the costs very,very carefully.The cost will usually "blow out", theres always extras!!!!

We have vast experience, in this, and I would not advise anyone at this momnet to build,unless you plan to stay for many years.No-one knows what is around the corner, so you can never make plans like that.

If you weigh it up at $13,000 per square, cost of block, at least $20,000 for basic landscaping, planning/building permits are sometimes not included in the cost either. Plans/Surveyors/Architects fees will soon add up.

And you may very well find, that the house has cost far more than it is worth, you will have years to wait before you can get your cost back in the value of the property.

I would not build again, seen far too many people regretting it, and we have had a couple of VERY lucky escapes.

I would either buy a new build that is completed, or an older established house.There are some real bargains to be had.And you know the cost that way, you can compare the asking price to sold properties in the area, and make sure you are not paying too much.

Not many people are building at the moment, its just not worth it.Hence why the building industry is in dire trouble.

Thanks Sapphire yes its not looking good, i have been trying every thing, but will keep on trying!

Hope you find something, I really do.

Its tough out there,I know the building trade very well, and Im seeing it everyday here

Edited by Sapphire