Hmmm, move or stay?

Bromney

I started a new job 2 weeks ago, the work is pretty straight forward and the people seem nice. I'm paid around $15k less than what I should probably truly get but it is a permanent role.

I interviewed elsewhere before and while they verbally offered me a 12 month contract it fell through in the end. However they've now made contact again and want to offer me a slightly different position, again a 12 month contract. It pays about 30% more than what the job I'm doing now, it's much a bigger role but then I can foresee increased stress levels as it's quite a demanding role.

My wife is doing a contract and could find herself out of a job in 2 months so I need to consider job security.

Now, what do I do? Do I leave a comfortable position for more money? More stress but bigger profile.

Decisions decisions, I can't make my mind up! Any thoughts on what you would do?

Ta.

Guest Guest26012

I'd go for the permanent job with less stress! If you can manage financially then, to me, it seems like the better option.

Same here. Stick with the permanent one for now.

I've been a contractor for many years but my OH always had a permanent job. It's fine for one of you to work contracts but both on contracts is (to me) a bit risky - particularly if you have financial commitments.

Sometimes career progression is important. I took a big hit a few years ago, but overall it has paid off. Earn twice than contemporaries. It depends on how you see your future and where you want to be. A new role can be a gamble, but the increased skills on the cv can make a huge difference. If you are happy enough to plod along or young enough to go through the system, the stick with the perm. I wasn't young enough so pushed and took a few chances (still am just my notice in on a very steady job for one that is much more risky but the reward is potentially another big career jump). At the end of the day it depends what you want to achieve and by when.

Sometimes career progression is important. I took a big hit a few years ago, but overall it has paid off. Earn twice than contemporaries. It depends on how you see your future and where you want to be. A new role can be a gamble, but the increased skills on the cv can make a huge difference. If you are happy enough to plod along or young enough to go through the system, the stick with the perm. I wasn't young enough so pushed and took a few chances (still am just my notice in on a very steady job for one that is much more risky but the reward is potentially another big career jump). At the end of the day it depends what you want to achieve and by when.

Herein lies the problem. I'm old enough to have been through the system and wise enough to know I'm not a workalohic (life's too short) but nor am I a plodder. There is definite potential to grow in the perm role but the move would be good too, I just can't decide whether I want to get into a stressful position for that extra money while risking the possibility I have to job hunt in 12 months and will have burnt bridges where I am now. (I can't imagine they'd be happy with me leaving them in the space of 2 weeks!)

Archived