dogs back to uk

Just been reading through a few posts and websites but everything still as clear as mud.

Thinking of taking dog back to UK. She will have been here for around a year. she has all of her shots including rabies etc. We used an agent last time but trying to see if its cheaper without one. I was told that we had to use one as they were needed to put dog in crate etc and sign paperwork. As it turned out my friend took dog to Heathrow and put in crate so apart from them booking flight not quite sure what I paid for. Unsure of procedures. I know I need to keep jabs up to date and there will be paperwork to complete which I hope I can get from their websites. How do I book the flight, do I contact charter flights direct or do they fly on a separate carrier? Could I book a flight with say Singapore Airlines and then book dog onto same flight. If she travelled the day before us would she be kept at airport until our flight gets there. ,Next, how much roughly for flight. We still have the original crate.:goofy: confused.com