ACECQA req.

kitty78

Hi there,

I am wondering about above requirements of teaching children of age from birth to 2 yrs.In my country we teach children from 11 months to 6 years .Has someone got positive experiences with acecqa assessment outcome about children's age?I don't have any work experiences in teaching babies younger than 11 months.

Thanx.

Not exactly sure what you mean....... Are you looking at getting a visa to work in Australia? If so, which occupation/code are you looking at on Skillselect?

Hopefully someone on PIO can help you...... :)

I'm in touch with Aus. employer and i need to get my overseas qualific. ass. from acecqa.Hope i'm more clear.I'm interested in rsms visa, but this come later.

My study had focus theory on children from birth to 6 years, but no practice work from birth to 11 months.Should be this a problem?

The second thing i would like to know is, that i'm not sure to apply as early educator or as early teacher?The duration of Diploma in children's services, which is required for educators, is of 2 years , so one year less of my diploma.

Requirements for early teacher are 3 year undergraduate+ 2 year graduate diploma.Before my undergraduate diploma i was studyng medical school year 8 to year 12, but this is not in corelation with early years.

For which title will you apply on in my case?Please help.

thx

I'm afraid that I can't really help much, as my husband and I are Primary School teachers, so we have to be assessed by AITSL (Australian Institute for Teaching and School Leadership). We have to have 4 years training (3 year degree + 1 year PGCE) plus at least 45 days of supervised teaching practice in order to be assessed.

Hopefully someone will see this post and give you some answers to your questions! Good luck! :)

• 1 month later...

I will apply as early childhood educator.There are less restrictions.Thank you although.
Hi Kitty78 I hold a Foundation Degree Arts Children and Young Persons, I emailed the ACECQA team for advice on having my qualification assessed so that I can work in a early years setting/kindergarten at the same level as what I do here in the UK when I get out to Adelaide, and they advised me that I had to contact the overseas qualification unit in the state or territory you are going to, this is the link they gave me https://www.aei.gov.au/Services-And-Resources/Services/Assessment-of-Overseas-Qualifications/Who-can-assess-my-overseas-qualifications/Pages/StateandTerritoryOverseasQualificationsUnits(OQUs)contactdetails.aspx you just select the sate that's suits you and this is where you have you qualification assessed for levelling before you can apply for Early childhood educator as ACECQA require a certificate for this assessment. if you PM me your email I will send you the email,,, I think this is what they are saying from the advice they gave me and will be happy to send you it so you can read for yourself..... Nothing is straight forward as we have found out throughout our visa journey......... I hope this helps you, I will let you know when I get I reply from Adelaide skills for all, about my levelling enquiry..... traceyandedd

You only require ACECQA assessment if you plan to teach in day care, eg as a Kindergarten teacher. As A UK trained and experienced early years teacher myself I have had to get state registration from Victoria (VIT), then a separate AITSL assessment of all the same things again- to get my visa to stay here, and then ACECQA one to say I can work in daycare as a teacher. The VIT and ACEQCA are about $100 each and take around 8 weeks, the AITSL is $550 has been 15 weeks so far and still no sign of it. The assessments are costly and annoying because they are so repetitious. Pity they can't or won't streamline the system. If you teach early years in a Kindergarten in a school you don't need ACEQCA to approve you, and it's only them who specify the birth to 2 years component of your training.

If you have state registration that counts as levelling so you don't need to do the process described above. It's oreferable as it costs the smae and also includes a working wth children check which you will also need to pay for otherwise- $85 ish.

I've been through this whole process in the last year and know the stresses, costs and nonsense it entails. The pay-scale and terms and conditions (like paid holidays) for teaching in day care settings are much lower than the same job in schools so if you have a choice don't choose day care, which is where most of the vacancies are sadly. I'm in a day care setting so i speak from experience. Jo

Hi I went through the process of ACECQA around dec / jan 2013. I had first applied for the AITSL assessment and then later for Victoria state sponsorship as an Early Childhood Educator. During my application for the Sponsorship, Victoria State requested an assessment for ACEQA. So I had to apply at ACECQA giving in the same set of papers which had been compiled for AITSL. The only difference is they require you to have experience from birth to two and then two to five. If you don't have experience for that age group they then recommend you to take a course that will cover that experience. Another suggestion is to give them a copy of the AITSL assessment. It took me over 2 months because I hadn't given them evidence for Zero to two. Quite stressful I must say!!!

so Andy you are are saying after all this I still have to apply for VIT registration?? At the moment I have lodge my application for the 190 visa just waiting for a response from the CO regarding my fate!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks. Its quite confusing. I meet the requirements for AITSL as an early childhood teacher and have studied child development as part of my Bachelor degree amd a BSc in psychology but 0-2 practical experience was not included. I have worked with this age group as a family daycare provider in the UK (childminding) but i'm not sure this will count. The whole process is so frustrating. I am already teaching Kindergarten here and yet I fear ACECQA will not approve my qualifications. I also have a Masters in Early Childhood. crazy system. Jo

Hi Andy If you can get some kind of proof of being in the family daycare, it will count. A reference letter would be good. They just need to tick the box really that you have experience in all these age groups.

Thanks. Nothing here so far has been easy so I'm waiting nervously for the response! Fingers crossed for some good luck:unsure

• 3 weeks later...

Holmesglen college (TAFE) Victoria are trying to create a short course of two units of 'caring for babies' which will enable those who don't have 0-2 in their degree transcripts to complete study and 20 days of placement to satisfy the Acecqa requirements with a certificate.

There's clearly a gap in the market which needs addressing in this way as UK teaching degrees don't cover the same practical elements as the Aus ones.

I'd like to see the assessment streamlined too. Having to get registered/assessed by each State, get the same thing done by Immigration and then again by Acecqa is a nonsense. They all take too long and each have slightly different criteria.

Archived