renting in Melbourne CBD - do I need a fat bank balance?

indudhar

We are couple migrating to Australia. This is our first visit to Australia. We don't have a job yet, but we intend to look for job once we arrive. We will be arriving in Melbourne in April. We intend to stay in a Hotel for the first 3 days and search for an apartment in Melbourne CBD.

Initially, we intend to arrive with about $6000 AUD. We will then move more money into Australia. When we go looking for small rental furnished 1 bed room accommodation, what do I need to get approved? Is a $6000 in bank make rental owners happy to let us rent?

Thanks much, cheers.

Without jobs, you might be better proving you have enough savings to cover rent during the entire tenancy. So in this case no, $6k is not going to be enough, I think you would need to show a lot more, it is perfectly fine for it to be in a UK bank account.

It is unlikely that 3 days will be long enough to find and move into a long term rental, I would book some initial accommodation for a few weeks at least.

Thanks for the head ups. How about studio apartments, can we rent those for short term, like 3 or 6 months?

I am sure you will find somewhere to rent for however long you want to. Shorter lets are normally more expensive though.

Like Rupert said without jobs its going to be tough. We paid 6 months upfront as we found it a struggle to secure a rental as you are starting again here as you have no credit history here. We have friends here who are still looking for somehere to live 6 weeks later!

Some people find it easy others don't 6grand not alot if your landlords want 6 months upfront. Good luck

Most rentals are not furnished. They have a stove but no fridge, washing machine etc. So you will probably have to buy furniture.

The furnished apartments are usually short term lets and can be from about 90 upwards per night depending on the condition of the buildings.

I stayed in Quest Apartments for a week and it cost me $1100.00

Archived