Almost certain I am wasting my time & money applying for SS

Red Rose

Hi everyone,

I have had a positive skills assessment for my occupation as Workplace Relations Adviser (WRA) and have received the results of my IELTS this week which gives me 10 points. My total points including state nomination is 60.

As of 2 months ago, WRA was listed on the occupation lists of WA and SA. However, it has since been removed from those lists and is now only available on the ACT list (showing as OPEN).

I have submitted an EOI on SkillSelect under "any" state in case WRA becomes available again on the WA occupation list.

In the meantime, I am considering whether there is any point applying for SS with ACT (or for that matter any other state - sigh) as my VETASSESS assessment only records one year highly relevant experience related to my nominated occupation (Australian experience when I was sponsored for a year in Melbourne). For some reason VETASSESS did not include an additional 6 months Australian experience with another company in Sydney, which I thought was highly relevant to WRA, but in the grand scheme of things, 6 months would not make a lot of difference either way. Since I returned to the UK in 2010 (big mistake), I have not been able to find employment closely related to WRA, so I only have 1 years experience to put in my application for SS (my experience prior to going to Australia in 2008 was a solicitor in general practice which is not closely related to WRA).

I will be able to demonstrate there are 6 WRA positions etc but knowing how strict ACT are, am very pessimistic about my prospects of getting SS. The application, I think, costs $300 so not too much to lose, but I would rather not throw money away at a shot to nothing. I have good academics but with my limited experience, I may also be on a hiding to nothing getting SS with WA or SA, if the occupation was to reappear.

Anyway, I am not really sure whether I have a question to ask. Just thought I would put my thoughts down here and if anyone has any comments or observations, or stories of hope, please post them here.

Cheers,

Mark

Hi everyone,

I have had a positive skills assessment for my occupation as Workplace Relations Adviser (WRA) and have received the results of my IELTS this week which gives me 10 points. My total points including state nomination is 60.

As of 2 months ago, WRA was listed on the occupation lists of WA and SA. However, it has since been removed from those lists and is now only available on the ACT list (showing as OPEN).

I have submitted an EOI on SkillSelect under "any" state in case WRA becomes available again on the WA occupation list.

In the meantime, I am considering whether there is any point applying for SS with ACT (or for that matter any other state - sigh) as my VETASSESS assessment only records one year highly relevant experience related to my nominated occupation (Australian experience when I was sponsored for a year in Melbourne). For some reason VETASSESS did not include an additional 6 months Australian experience with another company in Sydney, which I thought was highly relevant to WRA, but in the grand scheme of things, 6 months would not make a lot of difference either way. Since I returned to the UK in 2010 (big mistake), I have not been able to find employment closely related to WRA, so I only have 1 years experience to put in my application for SS (my experience prior to going to Australia in 2008 was a solicitor in general practice which is not closely related to WRA).

I will be able to demonstrate there are 6 WRA positions etc but knowing how strict ACT are, am very pessimistic about my prospects of getting SS. The application, I think, costs $300 so not too much to lose, but I would rather not throw money away at a shot to nothing. I have good academics but with my limited experience, I may also be on a hiding to nothing getting SS with WA or SA, if the occupation was to reappear.

Anyway, I am not really sure whether I have a question to ask. Just thought I would put my thoughts down here and if anyone has any comments or observations, or stories of hope, please post them here.

Cheers,

Mark

Why don't you give it a go, you will never know if you don't. We were turned down for NSW SS but then went for ACT and they had slightly different guidelines and we got accepted as both our skills were on their list. They were very good with advice when we asked for it. Best thing we did actually was gamble with a little amount of money as we have won jack on the lottery so this is a good investment!!!!

Either give it a go and see - go direct to ACT and get advice or pay a bit if cash for a good emigration expert for their advice (then bin them off and do it yourself). Will you be happy in the UK in 5 years knowing you didn't even try? You've ready paid a bit getting your skills and IELTS. Don't forget the SS is only a moral obligation of two years - you can move elsewhere. Good luck