Another boring car seat question..

Nerak123

Hello,

Sorry if this is answered elsewhere but I can see plenty about uk car seats not being legal in the OZ....but what about Australian car seats in the UK? We dutifully bought a new Australian car seat when we moved over here (giving away a lovely uk isofix) so now I'm wondering if we can bring this seat back with us..

If you did decide to bring it it would be useless as it would need a top tether install and not many cars have tether points in the UK.

Aus car seats are designed, made and tested to be used installed with the top tether and a seatbelt. Not using a top tether would mean in the event of impact the seat will behave differently and may well not offer the protection it was designed for.

Sell your Aus one and buy a UK seat on your return. Depending on your childs age there are new regulations in place in the EU now and new seats being brought out all the time.

Hi

I know you say there have been loads of posts regarding car seats.... I hadn't read any and now I'm in a flat panic. Are UK car seats illegal in Australia? We leave next friday and were planning on taking our two for our girls (Maxi-cosi rear facing for our 6 month old and a maxi cosi tobi for our 3 year old). ADVICE PLEASE!!

Hi

I know you say there have been loads of posts regarding car seats.... I hadn't read any and now I'm in a flat panic. Are UK car seats illegal in Australia? We leave next friday and were planning on taking our two for our girls (Maxi-cosi rear facing for our 6 month old and a maxi cosi tobi for our 3 year old). ADVICE PLEASE!!

Read this

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/transport-shipping/123214-car-seats-australia-what-you-need-know.html

And yes, UK car seats are illegal to use in Aus.

Drop me a PM if there is anything else re the thread I've linked to or post in it (give it all a good read).

Hi Peanuts,

i sympathise as its another up front cost you just don't need. Mothercare australia/ target / Bubs website will give you an idea of the cost of a car seat over here but we got $100 off our maxi cosi air by shopping around (cost $200 in the end). We transferred our 8 month old from his rear facing capsule to this seat when we arrived. I would recommend buying a seat as opposed to hiring as from my experience the hire ones are dreadful and expensive and beware if someone offers you one as there was a bad case here recently with a hand-me-down seat.

Also worth checking out some of the costs of other baby essentials - I wish I'd stuffed a load of sleeping bags (a gro bag over here is about $70) and sangenic refills in my shipping container! Clarke children's shoes are expensive too.

Oh no! We have just spent $400 on a baby car seat and we are planning on heading back to UK in July. Thanks for the heads up. Another thing to add to the list of things to sell before we leave. And another thing to break to the OH! Haha!

Maybe you should all swap seats! Some people who had just returned from Australia came to view our house when we were moving out there. They had children the same ages as ours - they needed UK seats and we needed Aus ones, so we swapped. They're were all in good condition. Saved us all money!

Oh no! We have just spent $400 on a baby car seat and we are planning on heading back to UK in July. Thanks for the heads up. Another thing to add to the list of things to sell before we leave. And another thing to break to the OH! Haha!

If you are interested in car seat safety and so on and looking to buy a new car seat for your child once back, have a look at the extended rear facing seats. They last till a child is 4 years old and often even older (I've seen some 5 year olds still in them as not outgrown the seat limits). Can be used from about a year old so when a child grows out of their car seat and it reaches the limits of its rear facing (13kg iirc in the UK). Your child at 10 months would be out of the capsule/infant carrier and into a stage 1 car seat which can rear face to a weight/height limit.

Archived