Advice on what I need from shipping? Size of container etc.

CrozierFamily

Hi

So we are moving to Sydney in about 3 months. I have started to look around for quotes but I would appreciate the views of people with experience.

We have a 4 bedroom house in England, which is not really that big. I am trying to work out roughly what size of container would be required to ship all of our furnituture, white good, clothes etc etc. From what I can see we are looking at a 20ft container. Would this be about right?

I am also guessing that to ship this kind of container from Swindon to Sydney will cost about £5k and will take between 6-8 weeks to arrive - does this feel like a decent ball park or am I way off?

Also - does the service offered normally include the company packing up your stuff and then rebuilding things like beds when they arrive in Australia? I am not sure if this is part of the package normally offered or is this is an extra?

Any help would be appreciated. I just want to have a good ball park in my mind before I start speaking to people to ensure I do not get ripped off or duped!

Cheers,

Andrew

The company will give you a quote against what goods you want to take - may all fit into a 20ft container. We were quoted at 10 - 12 weeks for shipment port to port (Southampton to Fremantle)

Hi, thank you for coming back to me. Did you move a similar amount of stuff? How much did it cost and did you pack your own stuff or did they?

I have been quoted £5310 (not inc insurance) for a 20f container, we have a 4 bed house but its not full. That price includes them packing everything and unpacking everything at the other end. It's our first quote so I don't know how good it is yet but it's one of the more expensive companies I think.

normally a 20ft including door to door will be around £5200. The prices we got varied only by about £300, but does depend on where in the uK you are moving from.

We had prices from Doree Bonner, Anglo Pac and Excess . we went with Doree Bonner who gave a better insurance rate

Hi guys. Thank you so much for your input. I have apparently got access to a discounted rate with my employer through Wridgeways and have asked them to come out and have a look at my property to give me a robust quote. I just wanted to have a rough ballpark in my mind before I get them out as I am always suspicious of being ripped off by guys like this!

Archived