Breaking the news!

phoenixf1

So we're off to Ireland tomorrow to tell my mum that we got our PR visa and we're planning to move over next summer.

We mentioned it briefly to her a few years ago when we first started the process but it hasn't really been mentioned since then. We didn't want to tell her over the phone. My Da knows and he's fully behind us but my mum might be a different story.

So how did you break the news? is there a way to do (or not to do) it? I was thinking of just dropping it into a casual conversation but not sure how it will go :twitcy:

We were lucky, my girlfriends parents have known from a very early stage in our relationship that one day the day would come that we would leave to try life in Australia, as I was open with them from the start that if we had a future together it would include living in Australia, at least for a few years. They have been nothing but supportive, in fact they have been more supportive than my own parents in Australia who instead of welcoming me back fill me with stories of doom and gloom about the Australian economy and tell me now is not a time to come :).

That was a good plan wolvesaussie. We first applied in 2008 and mentioned it back then, we only got a CO last October and didn't want to mention it in case the visa wasn't granted (no need for any undue stress or whatever) so now it been granted 4 years later I reckon it's been forgotten about, but shouldn't be a big surprise either. Maybe i'm thinking the worst and she will be fine, just getting a bit nervous about it :eek:

That was a good plan wolvesaussie. We first applied in 2008 and mentioned it back then, we only got a CO last October and didn't want to mention it in case the visa wasn't granted (no need for any undue stress or whatever) so now it been granted 4 years later I reckon it's been forgotten about, but shouldn't be a big surprise either. Maybe i'm thinking the worst and she will be fine, just getting a bit nervous about it :eek:

There is never a perfect time, so good luck.

Do a search on here for all the horror stories of how family have reacted.

After you have read them (and everyone's opinion of what you should do after that), however she reacts will seem ok in comparison.

We did the "We've got some news" bit and hubbie looked at my tummy. They were expecting (and dreading) another pregnancy announcement, so when we told them our visas had been granted it threw them a little which gave us time to crack open the wine and say "Let's Celebrate". Didn't subsequently go too well (due to hubbie declining job offer and plan chagnge) but at least it stopped the initial explosion.

Archived