Citizenship Test

NZPom

Hi

This isn't a question for me personally, as we are not moving to the UK, but I have been told that someone I know had to take a citizenship test and was denied benefits on returning to the UK, despite holding a British passport. I am convinced that this isn't normal and that there must be more to it. If you hold a passport, and as long as you haven't done anything dodgy, then surely you can just move back, no questions asked? Has anyone else encountered anything like this?

Thanks

If someone has a passport they obviously already have citizenship.

On returning to the UK, there will a a habitual resident test before any benefits. That is you will need to demonstrate that it is your main residence and that you actually live in the UK.

This thread explains it all:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/moving-back-uk/54856-habitual-residency-test.html

Guest guest41161
If someone has a passport they obviously already have citizenship.

On returning to the UK, there will a a habitual resident test before any benefits. That is you will need to demonstrate that it is your main residence and that you actually live in the UK.

This thread explains it all:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/moving-back-uk/54856-habitual-residency-test.html

I think there may be a little confusion in terms of the word test here?

Recently moved back after 9 years away, and benefits I have looked at so far (and claimed) are child benefit and working tax credits. Not once have I been asked if I am here to stay permanently, or indeed where I have been. No questions apart from the standard forms. Possibly down to the office you deal with and the type of benefit you are looking at?

I'd think its what KZ1 says about. The means test for certain benefits that can be claimed when you return to the UK.

If you don't meet the criteria for certain benefits they won't pay them to you from the off when you return. You have to be resident for a longer period of time and so on before being able to claim. Certain benefits can be claimed as soon as you return but not many.

I'd think its what KZ1 says about. The means test for certain benefits that can be claimed when you return to the UK.

If you don't meet the criteria for certain benefits they won't pay them to you from the off when you return. You have to be resident for a longer period of time and so on before being able to claim. Certain benefits can be claimed as soon as you return but not many.

Paul had been out of the UK 3 years, and was only entitled to the smallest amount of JSA, wasn't even worth doing, bit of an insult really when he's paid tax for years. So god knows how it'd be for someone who isn't a citizen or if they are been out of the country longer. OP good luck with that!

I'm a UK citizen but had my claim for Jobseekers Allowance rejected (and refused on appeal) when I returned to UK on the grounds that I am not a habitual resident of the UK (been away more than 3 years). Bit cheesed off as I have worked and paid NI contributions here for years and never claimed any benefits. Had to borrow off family and live off credit card for several months until I found work (and some time after since I work freelance and get paid 2 months in arrears). Being a UK citizen does not give you many rights these days in the UK - can't even bring your spouse into the country any more until you have been back for a year and in work.

Archived